General discussion

Netware 4.12 setup of a tape drive

By jr.ward ·
Hi,
I don't have alot of experence with the Netware but I need to
set-up a tape drive located on the server to use as backup drive.

I've tried several things all of which doesn't make the tape drive
a visible network object.

Thanks,
Jeff Ward

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gregc In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

What backup software are you going to use??? You need to make sure that this tape drive is SCSI attatched, Novell will not recognize any IDE or custom adapter cards. Assuming all that is correct, make sure the tape drive is seen by the SCSI adatpter. Depending on your SCSI adapter this is done different ways. If it is seen by the adapter then you need to get the latest Driver for your SCSI card and also try loading TAPEDAI.DSK and then see if Novell sees the tape drive. At the console type SCAN FOR NEW SCSI DEVICES and that will tell you if it found the tape drive. Post what kind of tape drive and What kind of SCSI card and I could be more specific to help you. Good Luck.

Collapse -

by jr.ward In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by gwd In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

Answer 1 is correct. Also is the tape drive plugged into the internal server controller, or an add-in card such as an Adaptec controller? If it is plugged into the internal server controller, what kind of server is it (name and model). If is plugged into an add-in card, what kind of card is it? With this information we can find out what modules need to be loaded to enable the backup software to see the tape drive.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bbeach In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

Jeff, answers 1 and 2 are on the right track. Is the Tape device external or internal? Depending on your SCSI controller the tape device may not be recognized if you have a certain combination of devices that are connected to your adaptor (ie Adaptec AHA2940U which allows only use of two of the three card connectors at one time).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Duster52 In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

I agree with all of the other answers.

The basic things you need to do in order to use the tape drive (internal or external) are: 1. make sure all of the SCSI devices and adapters are configured correctly (correct SCSI IDs etc.), 2. load the appropriate drivers for the SCSI card, 3. install the backup software that you want to use on the server, and 4. launch the backup software on the server and the workstation.

You will not see the tape drive as visible network object. You will have to use the backup software to access the tape drive.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by don_brill In reply to Netware 4.12 setup of a t ...

Interesting... If you're on NetWare 4.11 or 4.20, I'd strongly recommend avoiding .DSK drivers and go with the .HAMs. This can greatly simplify the tape drive setup as all you'd need to load in STARTUP.NCF prior to the SCSI .HAM is NWASPI.CDM whichmost backup software will recognize. If you're running ARCServeIT, grab SP3 and utilize the CANWPA.CDM rather than NWASPI.CDM.

Collapse -

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next