General discussion

Netware 4.12 upgrade to 5.1

By gnet158 ·
I recently upgraded (using Novell?s Migration Wizard) to NetWare 5.1. This was on the server with the Master replica. I followed Novell recommendations. From this server I can see all of my servers (4.12 & 5.1) both by using DSREPAIR (Time sync) and DISPLAY SERVERS. Last Thursday I did an inplace upgrade on another 4.12 server and everything seemed to go ok. However when I type DISPLAY SERVER I can see the rest of my NetWare server but when I run DSREPAIR (Time snyc) I can only see the server with the master replica? Is this normal? I have placed a R/W replica on this server but I need to be able to see the rest of my servers. Is there any way to make this server see the others? Any ideas would be great?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Hope this helps
Pete

~~~Section plagerized from NTP.PDF which is part of the NW5 supplimental material~~~

In IP networks and mixed protocol networks, NetWare 5 servers communicate time with other servers using IP. NetWare 5 servers use
TIMESYNC and Network Time Protocol (NTP) to accomplish this. NTP is an open IP standard that provides time stamps for time synchronization by using external Internet time sources.
Time synchronization in NetWare 5 always uses TIMESYNC, whether serversare using IP only, IPX only, or both protocols. TIMESYNC.NLM loads when a server is installed, but NTP.NLM (found
in SYS:ETC of the NetWare 5 installation directory) must be manually loaded.
When NTP is loaded on an IP server, NTP becomes the timesource for both IP and IPX servers, so IPX servers must be set to secondary servers.

More information on NTP can be found at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/database/html_ntp-4.0.72c/index.htm

Collapse -

by gnet158 In reply to Netware 4.12 upgrade to 5 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by papachuck In reply to Netware 4.12 upgrade to 5 ...

I have checked my server and yes the ones listed as secondary only see one or two servers. The servers set to primary see the entire server list. Also the reference server sees all the servers in the tree.

Try and set your server to primary andthen you should be able to dsrepair and see the time syncing.... Also another good practice is to have a Reference server getting its time from a NTP time source. We have one reference, 3 primary, and 20 secondary servers. Novell Web site has somevery good tids on time syncing that also have good NTP web sites.......Good Luck.....Chuck

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)