General discussion

NetWare Login screen on Win2000 laptop

By tonysalt ·
How to stop NetWare Client Login screen from appearing on Win2000 laptops when they off the network?
I already know about creating a hardware profile with disabled NIC. Anything else so user can start working on the laptop without entering any login information?
Automatic logon already enabled for Windows NT/2000. I don't want to do the same for NetWare.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by chris.riley In reply to NetWare Login screen on W ...

Add the following registry entry

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net and
create a new Binary string called AutoLogon. Set the value to 0000 00, meaning no login on boot-up.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Collapse -

by tonysalt In reply to NetWare Login screen on W ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by wcraigmiles In reply to NetWare Login screen on W ...

I don't think you have choice. I've tried configuring and making registry hacks, all with no success. I can make it work without the Novell client. The problem is that I was able to get the system to autologon to a desktop if the user hit cancel or escape at the Novell screen. Never was able to consistently reproduce it. I think it has to do with the GINA APIs that Microsoft publishes and what they really do. Anyway, I believe that under XP there will be no autologon.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by papachuck In reply to NetWare Login screen on W ...

See Novell tech document 10054281 at Novell.com..... URL is http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10054281.htm

While not supported it should help.....Good Luck....Chuck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TechDictator In reply to NetWare Login screen on W ...

This should still work for the latest Novell client:

Disable GUI Login for Client 32 for Windows95 (Last modified: 25MAY1999)
This document (2905753) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue
How can I bring up a Windows95/Client32 machine without the NetWare login box coming up?

The following steps will disable the network login box, along with Network Neighborhood.However, if the GUI Netware Login is used (manually started by clicking on Start, Programs, Novell, NetWare Login), access to the network is allowed, and the drives are mapped. Network Neighborhood is still disabled.

In the registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\
and delete the string value NOVELLNP.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)