Question

Network Connections on Windows 2003 Domain Controller

By dmull ·
I noticed yesterday that I can not open Network Connections on two of my Domain Controllers. I double click on Network Connections, or try to open ncpa.cpl manually and see an hourglass for 10 seconds and nothing else ever happens....no error messages in event viewer. Device Manger correctly displays the network card which is functioning fine. No problem with DNS, Replication or ActiveDirectory...IPConfig /All works fine without errors. No updates or recent installs on either DC. I replaced the ncpa.cpl file with the expand utility from the CD...no change. Any ideas how to get Network Connections application functioning again.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Try SFC

by Mohammad Oweis In reply to Network Connections on Wi ...

Try to run "sfc /scannow" this should check all system files for corrupted ones and replace them from the CD or the i386 folder.

Collapse -

Ran SFC no change

by dmull In reply to Try SFC

I ran SFC /SCANNOW...it did not find any bad files on the system. It did not replace any files either. Any other ideas?

Collapse -

Have you tried...

by scndtnr In reply to Network Connections on Wi ...

re-registering netshell?
(regsvr32 netshell.dll)

Collapse -

netshell.dll

by dmull In reply to Have you tried...

Yes, I have reregisted netshell.dll, netcfgx.dll, and netman.dll

Collapse -

Bummer

by scndtnr In reply to netshell.dll

Dumb questions: have you restarted the servers? Can you open any other applets in the Control Panel?

Now that those are out of the way, see if you can open the applet using either "control ncpa.cpl" (no quotes) in the Run command box or by typing in c:\windows\system32\ncpa.cpl in the address bar of IE.

Collapse -

network connections

by dmull In reply to Bummer

Yes, I've rebooted the servers 4 times this week while Microsoft was trying to troubleshoot the problem....they can't figure it out either....I can open other applets in Control Panel just fine....if you have any more ideas, please let me know.
Thanks

Collapse -

bummer (redux)

by scndtnr In reply to network connections

Well, I'm stumped; sorry I couldn't help.

Would love to know what the solution is...

Collapse -

Check "Network Location" & "Computer Browsing" Services

by alashhar In reply to Network Connections on Wi ...

i believe your problem is that "Network Location Service" or "Computer Browser Service" are not working, to solve your problem open "Computer Management", then open "Service" and check the above services, make sure "Network Location Service" in Manual Start-up Type and working and "Computer Browseing" in automatic start-up mode and it is working.

i hope it will solve your problem

Collapse -

dmull , did you slove your problem

by alashhar In reply to Network Connections on Wi ...

guys, when somebody open question, please we need feedback from the question owner

Back to Storage Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)