General discussion

Network expansion Win2003

By david.roebuck ·
My company is expanding rapidly to include a 2nd building some 50 feet away from our present 1. In order to achieve some seperation between the 2 buildings to avoid bottlenecks and so on this new building we be operating as a 2nd site on a subnet.
The network will be extended with a 100Base-T LAN extender.
Great!

This is where i get a little Hazy, i have decided to give the site a seperate ADSL line to the outside world and a seperate File/Print server (again reducing cross network traffic) But but how do i actually assign new hardware to this subnet and do i need a new DC with DHCP and DNS? to serve this site?
Am i making sense here?

I am just a little bit hazy on how i can seperate this subnet and how i can assign things to it. MS books online arnt really helping

Thanks for any help, i apreciate any comments

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Network expansion Win2003

You would need to create a subnet in Active Directory Sites and Services.

If you are not creating a new Active Directory site, you would then associate the subnet with your existing AD site.

Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/78a34b2f-bfeb-49ac-9268-a52e3e7fe100.mspx

Collapse -

by david.roebuck In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Network expansion Win2003

you don't need a DC in my opinion. If you have a fast link between the 2 and 50 ft apart isn't much distance users in the 2nd building just get pointed to the DC in the first building. With DHCP, if you have a router which seperates the 2 you'll need a DHCP relay agent to service clients in the second building. DHCP traffic doesn't got past routers.

BFilmfan has the rest on setting up sites in AD.

Collapse -

by david.roebuck In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by david.roebuck In reply to Network expansion Win2003

Well i have a 10Meg LAN extenstion connecting the 2 sites, so i want to limmit traffic between the 2 if possible, hence having a dedicated print server over there.
DNS and DHCP dont use a lot of bandwidth (right?) so they can both be left hosted at the original site, but could email put a strain on bandwidth, considering around 2Meg of that will be used by VOIP.
What would be the best way in your opinion to ensure nwetork traffic is kept to a minimum between the sites?

Thanks again

Collapse -

by david.roebuck In reply to Network expansion Win2003

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)