General discussion

network issue with business server 2003

By mike ·
I was running 2000 and upgraded to 2003. The network connections were maintained, but there were some DHCP issues. And when I try to establish Internet and Email properties, I get an error message: "the wizard can not set the DHCP scope options......" I tried to manipulate DHCP settings, and now I have lost my network connections to the server, then I tried to restore the DHCP properties (from a backup) and still nothing. Help please, Mike

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to network issue with busine ...

Could you give us a rundown of what your current DHCP scope looks like and what the scope options are? Also, what are the TCP/IP properties of your server (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings)? Knowing these things might help. Also, did you change anything else related to DHCP or the server's IP address when you upgraded?

Sorry - I don't have any answers yet, just questions!

Collapse -

by matthewrussin In reply to network issue with busine ...

i ran into something similar when i worked for municipalities and basically all i did was disable DHCP in services, then set back to auto. that's all i had to do for mine. i'm not sure if it was because my ISP had changed from static to dynamic, but it worked out for me..good luck hope it helps.

Collapse -

by mike In reply to network issue with busine ...

I did not change the server IP address when I upgraded. But I did try to change it afterward, because I thought it might have to to maybe the router IP, I wasn't sure, but it didn't allow me, it gave me another error box. My address is 192.168.06 subnet is normal I think and gateway normal. I didn't change any of this. But I did try to change the Ip to 24.97.60.122

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Is there a way to disable the current server DHCP stuff and start over from scratch. In short, I have five computers, through a firewall, attached to my server, and I need to let these computers have access to folders on the server (access database, etc). There must be an easy way for me to start over from scratch? I am under the gun a little as this is a business and we are not able to do much, thank you very much for responses, Mike

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to network issue with busine ...

You can try deactivating the original DHCP scope and creating a new one. AD and SBS have some pretty deep claws into DHCP and DNS, so I'm not sure this will solve your problem. It's worth a try, though. Also, make sure your server's correct IP address is registered in DNS and that the other one (the one you tried to change to) isn't there, or if it is, delete it.

In SBS 2003, there is a special wizard for changing the server IP address. I made the mistake of manually changing a server IP address once on an SBS 2003 server and ended up with a lot of problems. So, maybe what you want to do is to run the Change Server IP address wizard to change your server IP address again, within the same subnet, and see if that fixes things.

In the end, you may have to do some things manually (like set up your Internet connection) rather than using the wizards if the wizards won't respond correctly.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to network issue with busine ...

do you have a 'configure your server' option in your sbs console? (Start menu) if so, just uncheck dhcp server to 'start over'
but if you want to t-shoot this, check out this article from the microsoft knowledgebase (it was the first link hit googling 'the wizard cannot set the dhcp'
"The wizard cannot set the DHCP scope options" error message when you run the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard in Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875422/en-us

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to network issue with busine ...

Curlergirl has the appropriate suggestion. Use the wizard. SBS is not the same as a standard Windows O/S. There are a lot of wizards that do the actual configuration of it and unless you really really know DNS, DHCP and AD, trying to configure it will just cause more problems than you already have.

I can say this, on the SBS box you can disable DHCP as a service and run a completely static LAN network provided that you run the Connect to the Internet Wizard on the SBS box. If you try to muck with it within DHCP you'll end up with DHCP not starting or responding.

With only 5 computers, why have DHCP in the first place? DHCP is so with a LOT of clients, the chore of tracking addresses doesn't become its own kingdom.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

run the connect to the internet from the "things to do" check list and where the wizard asks what IP range to use for DHCP, choose to not configure it.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

well I'm not going to say that you probably shouldn't be messing around with the SBS server if you know so little about it but.......if DHCP is disabled, you've got 90% of the battle on the problem won. Now all you have to do is set static addressing for everything.

instead of automatic detection, you have to assign the server and every computer an address. In SBS 2003 when you run the wizard the LAN default addressing is the 192.168.16.2 address for the server. subnet mask 255.255.255.0. DNS is itself. So you have to fill in the blanks [I'm assuming that your running the SBS box with a WAN interface and a LAN interface. All clients would then be on that subnet. with 5 the addressing could be 192.168.16.3 and so on. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and DNS is 192.168.16.2 [the SBS box]. you also have to set the default gatway which is the router's address so whatever address the router is, that's the default gateway. DHCP usually does this with options [the wizard does all the configuration for you] but you have to do it.

Back to Networks Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next