I currently have 48 users with 2 servers. The clients are a blend of xp and 98. Both servers run w2k server. The main server which is a dual xeon pretty much does all the work (DC, file server, printer server, exchange). The second with ias a 850 P3 with 768sdram. is secondary dc and BU server. My e-mail and websites are curretly hosted by my local ISP. I have a sonicwall soho3 that handles the dhcp and filtering/content tracking.
I’m considering the following but needs some input.
1. Hosting a public domain.
2. Taking the second smaller server and hosting my 3 websites, intranet and mail exchange.
3. Utilizing my larger server for print sharing, file sharing, etc.
4. Possible allowing my older 98 clients (15 of them) if not all clients to run as thin clients.
BTW, all users are light users and if a terminal server was used it would run office, a contact DB (ACT), and two industry specific programs. Also, I do not use ISA or SQL, everything is pretty much basic.
I’m not to keen on having the terminal server and the file server being the same machine. I’m also not sure my older server could do much more than act as a mail server, nor would I want my mail server and file server being the same machine.Any recomendations of a # of servers and the duties for each? I will also be obtaining a copy of 2003 server, which will most likely go on my main server.
I’m swaying towards 3 server…
1. Mail for the websites, intranet site and exchange.
2. Terminal server
3. Primary/file for print and file sharing, backups and DC.
Any thoughts or suggestions on any of the above? How is your network set-up?