General discussion

Network Places Windows 2000&XP

By ccthompson ·
I have a domain, setup normal. Have Routing and Remote Access setup for some VPN connections for the travelers. One DC that is Windows 2000 Server, One is Windows 2003 Server. A mix of Windows 2000 and Windows XP PRO machines.

Problem is, its a small network, only about 16 PCs. All the Windows 2000 computers, including the one 2000 DC can see all the computers in "My Network Places". No problem!

All the Windows XP machines, can see them sometimes, and other times, its blank like there is nothing there. I dont get it, does 2000 have this feature better than XP??? I wouldnt think so, but maybe locking down XP with service Pack 2 and all the updates Microsoft is doing with it may have affected some basic features. Or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Although I wouldnt think so, because its also the 2003 server machine acts the exact same way, somtimes it sees the other machines, sometimes it doesnt. But the 2000 machines always hold true, they always see everything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by coucha In reply to Network Places Windows 20 ...

From the Windows 2003 Server, you can use Group Policy Editor to allow for File and Printer Sharing on the XP computers. See instructions from Microsoft KB Article below:

Basically, the XP computers have Windows Firewall enabled and need that setting for My Network Places to work.

You can read Microsoft's KB Article #875357 or click on this link which will taker you there.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875357

Hope that helps!

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to

Thanks for your input!

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to Network Places Windows 20 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)