General discussion


Network question?

By rawpower888 ·
i noticed on my wireless router thatthere is ports for crossover/network cables is it possible to use both wireless and cables at the same time????

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jpb In reply to Network question?

Yes it is possible to have both a wired and wireless network setup through the same router. What I would like to know though is what type of router you have that actually uses cross over cables. All routers due to standards set by IEEE should have the necessary built in functions to allow information to flow without the need for a cross-over. But in response yes it will work. That way you can have the desktops in a networked wired and only the laptops wireless so you can walk and move around with them.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Network question?

Yes. You may mix wireless and wired connections.

A typical wireless router these days has 4 ports for wired connections. With additional switches, you may connect up to 253 wired and 32 wireless (with a Linksys wireless router, for example) connections.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

It should have been 223 not 253 wired connections.
223 + 32 = 255, which is the maximum connections for a typical router.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

Mistake again.
The total wired cinnection should be 221.
221 + 32 = 253, the maximum number of wired and wireless connections. This is because 0 for network, 255 for broadcast, and one for router, which leaves to 253.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Network question?

Yes it is perfectly acceptable to use CAT5 cables and the Wireless connection but they will not be crossover cables but normal CAT5 cables.

Depending on the brand and type of Router you may have an "Up link" port which can be used when feed from anther Hub/Switch and even that connection will not require a crossover cable to work.


Collapse -

by Neil Cotton In reply to Network question?

yes, you will typically connect your computers to it via straight ythrough cat 5, only use crossover cables if you are connecting it to another switch

Related Discussions

Related Forums