General discussion

Network Settings Win 2000 Server Problem

By allanmccaffery ·
Hi,

I am having a problem accessing the network card settings on my Windows 2000 Server. It always comes up with message box saying "you do not have permission to open the network and dial-up connections folder". I am logged in as the domain administrator and still doesnt give me access.

Please Help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Chorito In reply to Network Settings Win 2000 ...

have you been playing with any policy settings? or have you had this problem from the beginning?

If you have been playing with the policy...try going back and explicitly giving the admin account access....if the latter, try uninstalling the drivers and re-installing

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to Network Settings Win 2000 ...

Are your domain admins a member of the admin group on your server?

Collapse -

by ashuar_jameel In reply to Network Settings Win 2000 ...

1)Add yourself(the domain admin) in 'Network Configration operator group'.This is important thing because "THIS GROUP HAS NO DEFAULT MEMBERS".therefore Domin Admin should add himself in this Windows 2003 group which is created by default.
This group has special permissions for managing TCp/Ip networking configration options.For example memerbers can release and renew the TCP/ip addresses on the Domain Controllers within the domian.

Collapse -

by ashuar_jameel In reply to Network Settings Win 2000 ...

1)Add yourself(the domain admin) in 'Network Configration operator group'.This is important thing because "THIS GROUP HAS NO DEFAULT MEMBERS".therefore Domin Admin should add himself in this Windows 2003 group which is created by default.
This group has special permissions for managing TCp/Ip networking configration options.For example memerbers can release and renew the TCP/ip addresses on the Domain Controllers within the domian.

Collapse -

check GPO settings

by feniks69 In reply to Network Settings Win 2000 ...

I had the same problem, because a month earlier was reconfiguring GPO on W2003 server domain controller (w2000/w2003 mixed domain).
I was unaware of the problem for over 1 month, then realized that I cannot open Network connection folder on any W2000 workstation nor the w2000 server with administrative username. At the same time all w2003 servers and win xp workstation were working just fine.

after googling for a while I realized what I did wrong.
for me it was this setting in GPO:
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar/Remove Network Connection from Start Menu
IT HAS TO BE DISABLED in order to open W2000 network connections when looged in as administrator.

Collapse -

by feniks69 In reply to check GPO settings

LOL what a shame... :)
I ran into the same river again after I accidentally set new GPO User policy (Admin Templates\Start Menu\Remove Network Connections from Start Menu) and applied such policy to a computer account instead of a user account.
After googling for help I found my own solution hahaha :) nice thing :)

Now I'd like to explain the thing in details since it seems to be a bug for me. Since User policy settings are not being processed when applied to computer account, above policy should have no effect.
Well. IT DOES. It looks that Windows 2000 applies such policy computer-wide (all domain accounts inlcuding admins) and the funny thing is that you won't see that in gpresult (no such was policy processed neither under Computer nor under User tab).

And now final solution: It won't help if you create "anti-policy" (user settings) and apply it to affected computer account (this it won't be processed by design). In order to get rid of this crap you need to DISABLE this setting in Domain Computers policy, run gpupdate /force on server and reboot affected w2k workstation. Then sinc issues is fixed you can reset Remove Network Connection in Domain Policy to whatever state it was before.

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)