Question

Network Share Freezing With Office 2003

By swanson ·
Hi all,. this is my first post so i hope that i am in the right section.i have a really weird problem tha i have never come across before. basically we have taken over a new companys network. after installing there new server and mapping there files to network drive maps everything seems ok exept when i try to load office document such as word, excel ect it hangs from anywhere between 10 seconds and 5 minutes.i havnt slept yet as they need there network up and running. i have tried literally everything. they are running HP printers and a HP scanner. i have tried the HP scan to web fix and still nothing.

any advice would be great

Ashley

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What happens if......

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Network Share Freezing Wi ...

... What happens if you start Word or Excel first, then do a file/open and navigate to a file on the share to bring the document in that way? Does it hang like it did before?

Also try using explorer to navigate to the share, then try a copy n paste back to the workstation. Does the copy seem to hang?

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to What happens if......

ok i can go into word then file -> open and it seems to work fine.another thing i forgot to mention, is when i copy files to the desktop and try them there it works sometimes but sometimes it just hangs for about 30 secs then opens it up. we are using roaming profiles in there office as well.

Collapse -

What are you using for anti-virus?

... Some anti-virus programs will cause a delay in opening files located on a share when you double click them to open. They're scanned before Word/Excel is actually started. Starting the program first, then file/open will speed things up.

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to What are you using for an ...

i have removed all AVs from the workstations and servers.what else doy uo think it could be ?

Ashley

Collapse -

KB Article that may help.......

This KB article may explain the problem as well as provide some help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829700/en-us

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to What happens if......

oh another thing about explorer, when i press the windows logo key then "E" to enter explorer, it hangs for about 60 seconds.when i right click my computer -> explore, same thing, but sometimes it works.

Collapse -

re: Explorer

Some things that cause Explorer to seem to hang (or hesitate) are mapped drives and/or drives that don't exist.

For example, if in the BIOS the floppy drive is turned on, but there's no physical floppy drive installed, Explorer will seem to hang while it attempts to locate the non-existant hardware. If you turn off the floppy in the BIOS, the hesitation will go away.

If there's a CD in the drive, Explorer will hesitate while the drive spins up. So, removing CD's from the drives while they're not in use will speed things up.

And, of course, mapped network drives need to be "activated" (if that's the correct word) when Explorer starts. So, poor network performance will slow down Explorer. See what happens if you remove all mapped drives. I'll bet it springs to life immediately. So, add one mapped drive at a time and test until you locate the one that's slowing things down.

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to re: Explorer

Hi thumbsup2.

Done all that but it still locks up when trying to open up a file on the desktop.

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to Network Share Freezing Wi ...

any1 else got any ideas ?

Collapse -

by swanson In reply to re: Explorer

this is what happens when i try to open up a file. http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?735ded2831.jpg

this happens on all the pcs.sometimes it works great then it just dies.

also, i forgot to mention that on the server that is hosting the files it takes ages to get online. i open up IE or firefox and type in google.com or whatever it takes about 30 seconds or so to load up, then when you click say google maps, same thing, 30 or so seconds. also, when i try ping from the server it takes around the same time.

Ashley

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums