General discussion

Network Win2000 & Win98 Problem

By jenee.molyneux ·
I have a network of a Win2000 PC(P4 2GHz) & a Win98 PC (p3 600). Both PCs have a common software program installed locally with the datafile on the Win98 PC.(This can't be changed) The Win2000 PC runs like a dog when accessing this particular datafile on the Win98 PC. I have been told it is a networking issue. Does anyone know why and how to fix.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by techham In reply to Network Win2000 & Win98 P ...

How are you accessing the data file from the Win98 machine? (mapped drive or a UNC path?)

How are the machines connected? peer-to-peer, network hub, or network switch?

First thing I would check would be what speed you are running on your network. (10 or 100mbps) and also make sure they match on their settings.

Sometimes, it also depends on how the program reads the datafile. Does it read it for every access or does it cache it in memory? If the data of the application was designed tobe accessed remotely, it would be better but we don't have control on that if it's a third party app.

Collapse -

by jenee.molyneux In reply to Network Win2000 & Win98 P ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BobHo In reply to Network Win2000 & Win98 P ...

What network protocols are you using. Probably tcpip but are you using netbeui as well? Many people say (MS included) that netbeui is not needed but I have seen too many issues with trying to network w2k, xp and win98 without it to believe it isn't needed in a situation like you have.

If you don't have it installed then it certainly won't hurt to install it and try it. It worked wonders for my home network.

Regards,

DrBob:&gt

Collapse -

by jenee.molyneux In reply to Network Win2000 & Win98 P ...

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)