General discussion

Networking

By kirt0505 ·
I work in a tier 1 position and my boss wants me to take the computers in our lab and network them off one pc that is connected to the network here. We have 4 pc's in our lab---win98, winxp, macos9, and win2000. I was wondering what would be the best way to go about this. I was thinking of running 3 of them off of one pc that is connected to the network from a hub or a switch. Also, I was wondering which one of them to use as the main pc to branch off of and how to configure it to send the packets to the other pc's. Thank you....Mike

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by scott.heath In reply to Networking

If you use the Windows XP or 2K machine you can put in a second NIC and enable connection sharing. YOu can then connect the 2nd NIC to you hub or switch and the other PCs in the room will be on the network. It has a wizard for you to make setup disks for the other PCs, but it isn't to complicated. Say the network connection to the office is 10.10.10.1 and the 2nd NIC IP is set to 192.168.0.1. The other machines can be 192.168.0.2,3, and 4. Use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and 192.168.0.1 as the gateway. You can manually enter you local DNS server names or try pointing that to 192.168.0.1 as sometimes it works. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)