General discussion

By aost ·
I am running Windows XP and also have a Macintosh G3 with OS 9.3.
How can I network both machines, so that I can access files on the PC from the Mac and Vica Versa. I already have an Ethernet Card installed in the PC
Adam Ostrowski

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Networking

You network an Apple the same way you'd network any other two computers together.

You will need a crossover cable (if you are going from computer to computer -- no hub in this connection). You will need to set an TCP/IP address on both computers (and a subnet mask).

On the Apple, look in ARP settings for the TCP/IP settings... on the PC, look in Control Panel --> Network settings --> LAN --> Properties --> TCP/IP Settings ... etc. / subnet / subnet

If you choose to use a hub, then you need two regular network cables and connect both computer to the hub.

Collapse -

by ericbos In reply to Networking

You can connect the machines like Anna said in answer 1 and then run ftp from the Mac to the PC.

Another option which will make sharing files much easier is to upgrade your Mac to OS X. Then you will be able to connect directly to any shared folders on Windows XP. And you can enable SMB on OS X so that you can access the Mac from Windows XP too.

Back to Mac OS Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)