General discussion

Networking

By DilKaRaja03 ·
I want to Network my Win98 First Edition with my win2k pro. How do i do this. I have a single phone line and a cross over cable connected. thats it. i want to print from my win2k to my win98, and i want to be able to share files between both computers. How do i do this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by jimmy In reply to Networking

The phone line has absolutely nothing to do with networking both pc's.
What you need is:
2 network cards
1 crossover cable
The crossover then goes from the netowrk card in PC1 to the network card in PC2
And then configure the operating systems on the Win98 and Win2k pc's to talk to each other via TCP/IP in the networking sections on both pc's respectively
Personally I would think about making the Win 2k pro the server as presumably it would have the better hardware.
sharing files and a printer can be done on both pc's again by going into the network tab both pc's and setting the allow file/printer sharing.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Networking

by DilKaRaja03 In reply to Networking

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Networking

by Maelgwyn In reply to Networking

Ok, this makes little sense. So is this what you have:

Computer->modem->Phone cable -> modem -> computer?

If this is, then what you want to do is physically impossible. For that to work, you need a small current running between your modems, so that they can take the line 'off hook'. Trust me, it is a bigger headache than it is worth.

If you have this:

comp -> nic ->xover -> nic -> computer
(NIC -> Network Interface Card)

Then you are in luck!

On both machines, install: NetBEUI and File and print sharing. This will; allow you to print once each item is mapped (usually right click on the item and click properties, then click sharing on the tabs). If you want to share Internet, you will need to use ICS and TCP/IP, but then, you dont need to, ne?

If you havce additional queries, please, do not hesitate to email me (robert@keato.zzn.com)

Maelgwyn

Collapse -

Networking

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Networking

by Ann777 In reply to Networking

First off, the two previous answers are wrong. Look up Phone Line Networking and you'll find out that is it possible to create a network on the phone lines in a house.

http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article
/0,aid,15673,00.asp

There are many people already networking in this manner and connecting to the Internet as well.

---

In response to the question -- you need one or the other -- not both.

Phone line adapters (one per computer), software to run them, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) software (which I think started with Win98 Second Edition not first -- but I may be mistaken).

Or
Standard Ethernet adapters, and a crossover cable.

...more...

Collapse -

Networking

by Ann777 In reply to Networking

Read through all this stuff here and decide how you want to create your network.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/phone-network.htm

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by c.mcfadden In reply to Networking

I really don't think you are going to be networking your systems through the phone line or you would be asking a bunch of different questions related to phone line networking.Anyways what you want to do has really been covered in the above answers,you have a nic in both pc's already so right click on network neighbourhood and simply put check marks in file and print sharing also be sure both pc's are in the same workgroup and reboot.Share your folders(right click on the folder's you want to share give a name)As for your printer be sure there is software installed on both pc's and install a network printer as posted above I also would use the w2k system as it is (maybe)the better of the 2 pc's.You don't need NetBEUI as you have tcpip installed.

hope this is of some help and if not go to

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by Quaint_Data In reply to Networking

2 network cards, cross over cable and a (hub) or a adapter in the host tower to plug the cross over cable into. most network cards sockets donot support a direct cable link.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next