General discussion

Networking

By curtkiesling ·
I am running Win XP[NTFS] on a laptop and Win 2000[Fat32] on a desktop with a Linksys 4port Router. Will I be able to network the two units thru the router?
If so what is the best way to network my two units?
Thanks,
Curt

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by saihib In reply to Networking

Routers are used to connect separate networks. I seriously doubt you are using a router. If you have a hub/switch you should have no problem connecting your two machines in a workgroup. Keep in mind that you'll need to create user accounts on each machine in order to access shares. You'll also need to assign correct IP addresses on each machine.

Collapse -

Networking

by curtkiesling In reply to Networking

I do have a router/switch to share my cable internet connection with my kids pc and laptop.

Collapse -

Networking

by DS9 In reply to Networking

In addition to #1 above, I doubt that your laptop has a built-in NIC module. Therefore, you will need to purchase a NIC card for you type II card slot.

Cheers

George

Collapse -

Networking

My laptop is a new Dell Inpiron 8100. Therefore it does have ehternet, firewire, ect....

Collapse -

Networking

by saihib In reply to Networking

You should be able to network the two units through the router. I don't understand what the problem is. Hook the machines up to the router. Configure a workgroup. Create user accounts on each machine. Assign IP addresses. Make your shares. If you have an Internet connection and you want both machines to have access you'll have to configure ICS

Collapse -

Networking

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Networking

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)