General discussion

Networking

By mwalec ·
I have a PC which when configured to be on the network, at times works while at other times, it just does not work.

When it works, it only lasts for a short while, say two hours, then loses the settings.

What could be the problem? The network card is working properly.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

25 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by chidimark In reply to Networking

Are u sure that there is no problem with the network card???? i would suggest you to 'ensure that it is working fine on the other machine' too.
Remove this network card from the pc troublin u and place it on the other machine in the network and just notice if it behaves in the same way..

Collapse -

Networking

by mwalec In reply to Networking

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Networking

Are u sure that there is no problem with the network card???? i would suggest you to 'ensure that it is working fine on the other machine' too.
Remove this network card from the pc troublin u and place it on the other machine in the network and just notice if it behaves in the same way..

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by JediMaster2003 In reply to Networking

Things you could do;
1. Replace the NIC (as a test for one day), and see if that makes any difference.
2. If NIC is fine, then you might want to look at the switch or hub for a bad network port.
3. If Ports are fine, then do a Ping -t (from a command prompt), to the server, or another computer on the network, the -t will ping until you type in Control-C to stop the pinging, this will tell you if you have lost your network connectivity.
4. Other things to look at would be; Bottlenecks @ a switch or hub, loose wire connection, maybe wires that have been crimpted by accident etc......

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Networking

Hi,

No points... but I just want to second the first answer. Many times on TechRepublic people dont want to blame their nic for wierd behaviour because it works some of the time but in the end they replace the nic and its all hunkydory.

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Networking

Back to Networks Forum
25 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next