General discussion

Networking

By wayneinreno ·
I just installed a NIC. Now, I need to know what steps to take to get on the network.I want to be able to connect with a LAN I don't know what to do now, or how to do it.I am assuming LAN because the computer I want to network with is local. I only want to connect with one other machine in another location.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by Skizz In reply to Networking

Check the network details of the other computer and define the new card with a similar address and the same subnet. More details of OS would be handy for a better response.

Collapse -

Networking

by wayneinreno In reply to Networking

I am using Windows ME, waiting for my XP upgrade to arrive.

Collapse -

Networking

I am using Windows ME 850mhz 256Mb 30G

Collapse -

Networking

by james hardy In reply to Networking

Go into network properties
Make sure you have client for microsoft networks installed.
Add the PC's into the workgroup.
Add file and print sharing.
Next you have to decide on what protocol to use- TCP/IP is the best, use addresses from the 192.168.0.x range with a corresponding subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

This should be all you have to do. remember you will have to set up shares on each PC to allow the other to access them.

Collapse -

Networking

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Networking

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Networking

by eBob In reply to Networking

To network 2 PCs, both need a NIC, installed, and configured. You will need to install a network protocol. I would suggest installing TCP/IP, only. You will need to provide IP addresses for each box, and they must be such that the 2 PCs are on the same network. There are a couple of ways to do this.

You can simply "hardcode" the addresses in. Try: 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask. More on "default gateway in a minute.)

Or you can install a DHCP server which dishes up a TCP/IP config to PCs that themselves have been told to look for a DHCP server.

Sounds complicated and exotic? Maybe not.

For now, assuming that you have hard-code the IP addresses, then you can just get a x-over cable and put it into both NICs. Boot the PCs and you are networking. You may also want to setup shares and such. I highly recommend Start --> Help and search on the networking topics. As much as I just LUV to slam Micro$loth, Windows Help is pretty good in this area.

A better idea than an x-over cable is to get a small hub or switch, and a couple of straight cables. This lets you grow your network.

But wait...!

I'll bet that pretty soon you'll want to share an Internet connection. Assuming that you have some type of "broadband" (cable or DSL) then I highly recommend getting a Broadband Sharing Router. LinkSys, D-Link, Asante and many others make great little boxes. These are not just routers. Most of them have a built-in 4 port 10/100Mbps switch ("smart hub"). And most of them have a built-in (...wait for it...) DHCP server.

You just plug your PCs into the Ethernet ports on the "box" with straight-thru cables, and configure them to pick up their info from a DHCP server. Thebox will come with a default configuration that is "good enough". (Later, you should customise the settings.)

Collapse -

Networking

by eBob In reply to Networking

...continued

Here's a pretty good article on this approach:
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=1482&a=4795,00.asp

Does that sound more complex than you need? Actually, it only sounds complex. It's really quite straight-forward. Just draw it out on paper a couple of times, read the above mentioned article, and follow the directions that come with the router.

PS: If your Internet connection is "just a dial-up", don't despair. Some of these routers will also support a dial-up modem, or you can use Windoze Internet Connection Sharing ("ICS"). Windoze Help function, particularly the version in WinME, gives a step-by-step on setting that up.

Collapse -

Networking

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Networking

Thanks! I'm cookin cable! Between the Windoze help function, along with your suggestions, I was able to network with my brother's computer all in about two hours. Thanks again for the very straight forward info.I am going with a hub instead of x over.

Collapse -

Networking

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)