General discussion

NETWORKING

By danwilliams ·
I setup a home network with three computers running 1 x Ms windows2000 server; 1 x Ms Windows98 SE and 1x Ms Windows Millennium Edition. Only windows2000 server can see the rest of the system but others can see the server but cannot open up any file. Surprisingly enough, the Internet connection sharing is up and running.

Now, what should I do for the client computers to see the server computer? Thanks for your attention.

Dan williams

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by danwilliams In reply to NETWORKING

NETWORKING
I setup a home network with three computers running 1 x Ms windows2000 server; 1 x Ms Windows98 SE and 1x Ms Windows Millennium Edition. Only windows2000 server can see the rest of the system but others can see the server but cannot open up any file. Surprisingly enough, the Internet connection sharing is up and running.

Now, what should I do for the client computers to see the server computer? Thanks for your attention.

Dan williams

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by damjef In reply to NETWORKING

Dan im only a novice but ill try to help.Can the clients see the server or not? I can only presume from the infomation that you have given that you need to check the actual share resources on the files you want to be available to each client over the network. (it might also be worth checking ntfs permissions)

Collapse -

NETWORKING

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by ins413 In reply to NETWORKING

Try adding the NetBeui protocol to all the adapters. Its worth a shot anyways. Do not remove TCP/IP though.

Collapse -

NETWORKING

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by bohicam1 In reply to NETWORKING

You have a win2k server here. It requires you to login to it. The user account you use to login to the server is the administrator account, right?
Are your two workstations configured to login to the win2k servers domain? or workgroup? When you start them up, is there a login box? If not, start by sharing out some files on the win2k server and accessing them from the workstations by browsing my network places/entire network/win2k server name.
Good luck!

Mike

Collapse -

NETWORKING

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by BuffaloDan In reply to NETWORKING

Win2K server is a professional network operating system, and is not a toy, as such accounts and shares Must be configured at the time of setup. when you configure these win9x(me) machines, they must be configured, thru network properties, to join a domain, that domain being defined at the server.
Microsft has a great deal of info available on their website when it comes to setting up a win2k server, I suggest you go here:

http://www.microsft.com/technet

Good Luck with this, this may be an enlightening experience.

Collapse -

NETWORKING

Collapse -

NETWORKING

by sgotero In reply to NETWORKING

Hi! Dan, first you must verify that the network is correctly configured (client, workgroup, andprotocol with his mask, and sharing files installed) then you must note that in W2K and NT, you must explicity share the resource, for see it, you can acces to it being administrator doing \\servername\drive$. If the workgroup is wrong you cant see the other machines. If the protocol is wrong too. So for discard all try installing Netbeui (only for probe) and see what happend, if it?s works, so verifyprotocol configuration.
Hope it?s helps you

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next