General discussion

networking 2003 small business server

By aplu ·
I have a small network 1 server 8 computers just getting set up sever is setup as the dhcp & dns server my routers are a dlink 614+ 3 computers are on wireless the rest are wired i have hi speed cable internet now i have another router hooked into the first and have turned of the dhcp service on both i have the modem hooked to the server and another cable from another network card hooked into the router the dlink i go through the internet setup and i can get as far as the server configures the router but i get a conflict with the local area setup i'm not sure how to setup the local area network card the routers are still on dynamic addressing do i have to manuelly set up the local area network card and if so what address do i put in if i don' use the second nic card i don't have a problem but i want to control the network from my server so i can control the internet for each computer the conflict seems to be between the internet settings and my internal internat the subnet masks seem to be conflicting now i don't know if it's because the routers have different addresses one is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.1.1 do i have to chane the scope or add a scope to the dhcp the scope for my server know is 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.254 should i add a scope for the other router or subnet Please help thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to networking 2003 small bus ...

a quick & dirty configuration to get ya going: the SBS 2003 server has 2 NICs. 1 for WAN which connects to the router that provides internet access, 1 for LAN which can connect to another router for subnetting or a switch. With DHCP service turned off on both routers, the WAN NIC configuration is a static IP addressing scheme with the IP address of 192.168.1.xxx submask 255.255.255.0 and gateway address router IP. DNS is your ISPs DNS servers. The LAN NIC configuration is 192.168.16.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 no gateway address DNS is your W2K 2003 server DNS. With DHCP service running on the W2003 SBS server, clients connect to the switch and get their IP DNS info from DHCP. With a router, you either turn on fowarding boottp throught the router so clients can get DHCP from SBS 2003 DHCP service OR you set the router to obtain a WAN IP address automatically which SBS2003 will assign, and turn on the DHCP serivce on the router and clients get their IP address from the router.

Easiest way to setup quickly is to get rid of the second router. With only 8 computers, subnetting them is to much of a pain.

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to networking 2003 small bus ...

I have to say this first...

That took rather a lot of effort to decipher, and much of it remains very confusing. If we are to help you must try and write clearly what is going on and what needs fixing.

As such the majority of this is at first going to revolve around clarifying exactly what your set-up currently is.

So, as I understand it...

You're using the Wireless Router as a hub, as such it isn't currently performing any routing and only providing connectivity for each of the computers.

The Dlink Router is on the IP address 192.168.0.1. The server, and all other computers are on this same subnet with the SBS server acting as DHCP.

What is the IP address for the Internal Network card on the Server itself? This has to be statically assigned and I would suggest 192.168.0.2 (ensuring you exclude this address from the DHCP range).

Have you excluded the 192.168.0.1 address from your DHCP range to prevent IP conflicts on that address?

A second network card in the server is attached to the Cable Modem / Router which has the IP address 192.168.1.1.

What IP address is currently assigned to the External Network Card on the server? For this I would recommend turning on DHCP on the router attached to your cable connection. Otherwise try assigning the address 192.168.1.2 and the Default Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Is there a Default Gateway defined for the network card attached to the Internal Network? If so it should be removed.

Since you're routing outwards through the Cable connection only that network card requires a Default Gateway.

You should only need to have 1 scope on the DHCP server at present.

Further information would be helpful to resolve this problem.

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Just a question on the 614 router first. At the moment can each of the PCs see the server? I haven't looked into the configuration for that router extensively so I don't know if the WAN port can be switched to operate alongside the remaining 4 ethernet ports.

If not you should get a small desktop hub or switch (switch if you can) and connect that to the DLink Router. What that will do is give you all the necessary network ports to deal with all the PCs and the Server without worrying about the routing side of the DLink. You will of course still be able to retaining the Wireless hub capabilities of the router.

You should remove the Default Gateway from NIC #2. Since you don't want complex routing on the inside of the network its unnecessary.

A Default Gateway will need to be present on NIC #1 since that one is connected to the internet and will need to route. Of course that should be dynamically assigned as you have it set to retrieve the address via DHCP.

Just in case you need clarification on that Default Gateway is defined as the route to "everywhere else", so should really only be present on the NIC directly attached to the internet.

You have DNS defined as 192.168.0.118 is that another server? or a secondary IP address for the router? or something else entirely? The main question is of course, does it work?

The dynamic address on NIC #1 certainly sounds correct, that allows it to collect the IP address from the DHCP service running on your Cable Router.

Hope that all makes sense so far.

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to

Okay the next step is to turn the server into something that can route IP traffic for you.

At this point I'm assuming that the Server is happily able to access the Internet. Is that correct?

Since you have Small Business Server you also have access to ISA Server.

ISA Server, if you don't already know, is a Proxy and Firewall Server. It can provide the computers on the network with secure, controllable internet access. With full reporting capabilities as well should you require them.

You will have to deploy a Firewall Client to each of the PCs for them to have complete internet access, but this is a fairly small price to pay for the security it offers.

Without the client you can still get Web Access by filling in the Proxy Server information in Internet Explorer (Tools, Options, Connections, LAN Settings then normally Server name and port 8080).

ISA Server does have some limitations and some programs don't work too well with a Proxy Server.

As with almost all Microsoft products I believe ISA Server has a wizard to help you out with some of the basic set-up. However, I haven't used it for a while so I could be wrong.

If you decide to go with ISA Server and get stuck setting it up just post the problem and I'm sure I can find out the solution.

If you don't fancy ISA server and want a quick fix installing the Routing and Remote Access service will quickly get you up and running. You will have to do some really basic configuration for it. But as far as I remember RRAS just has a little set-up wizard you can use from the Administration program.

Be aware that while RRAS doesn't suffer from the incompatibilities in some cases with Proxy Servers it isn't capable of providing you with much network security.

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to

It shouldn't be too bothered about which is which. Its still going through SBS set-up right?

I'll have a look into the SBS install process tomorrow, bit late tonight now.

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to

When you say the Local Address and the Server Addresses which IP addresses are you talking about?

Just wanted to confirm this bit is correct...

NIC #1 is set to retrieve its addresses via DHCP from the Cable Modem.

NIC #2 is set to static IP addressing and is the interface for the LAN.

It should detect and allow you to add the DHCP Server as part of the set-up wizard. It will (or should) add the DHCP Server using the IP address of NIC #2 as it needs to provide the DHCP Services to the internal network.

Is that where it's stuck at the moment?

Collapse -

by aplu In reply to networking 2003 small bus ...

ok hope this is clearer I have 2 nic cards in my server #1 is attached to the cable modem #2 is attached to the dlink router in to the wanport not sure if that is were it is suppose to be but thats were it is i have nic #1 set at optain ip automatically nic #2 ip address is 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 dns 192.168.0.118 the router is dhcp is turned of and it is set to dynamic not static this is were i'm at so were should i go from here and do i have the nic cards plugged in to the right ports thanks

Collapse -

ok what has happen is that i can't use the wanport but when i plug in to the other port it worked now i can see all the computers on my network and get into them but none of them can get the internet the 192.168.0.118 is the address i gave the dns service and it is the same server it works i took out 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 from the scope.but like i said now the only computer that gets the internet is the server do i have to do some thing in group or user policys to allow the computers to get the internet i think im just about there have the network up but no iternet to the computers i can see and get to the server from each computer and from the server to each computer and i am going to get a switch so i can add more computers.but why can't the other computers get the internet thanks great help so far

Collapse -

I don't no what i'm doing wrong but i can't get the other computers to get the internet when i go to configure internet and email it goes through and keeps wanting to make my local area nic card my server and when i add a dhcp server it wants to go to the local address i change it to the server address and it can' find the server it keeps getting the 2 nic's mixed up to provide the internet every things ok till i go through the wizerd which i persume is the isa server wizerd should i have the same nic card's i have a 3com 3c920 intergraded and a compaq nc3120 the 3com is my server nic and the compaq is the local

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)