General discussion

Networking

By nguyen481 ·
How can i network my laptop to my personal computer at home. Do i run it through the ethernet card or hub? Can you give me a step to step on how to network my laptop to my desktop

Thanks,
Hai

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by whitney597 In reply to Networking

Hai,
Try going to the website below, it gives information on how to home network, and if you don't like their information they give links to other sites.
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

I have a home network (not with a laptop but with 2 pc's)and we bought a 5 port hub. It works great and is faster than a crossover cable(which is what I used to use). You would need to use a crossover cable if you do not use a hub.

Whitney

Collapse -

Networking

by nguyen481 In reply to Networking

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Networking

by Jay Allen In reply to Networking

Instead of networking, you should purchase a docking station which will connect to your home pc. Companies like Dell and Gateway offer great products which would cost less than a network system and give you less head aches. So check out the websitefrom the company who produced your laptop. Good Luck.

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by jhahn In reply to Networking

You couls use a cross-over cable to connect the PC and the laptop. This solution requires no hub, just a CAT5 cable and network card in th computers. The pinout for the cable is.....
1 end other end
--------------- -----------------
orange-white Green-White
Orange Green
Green-white Orange-white
Blue Blue
Blue-white Blue-White
Green Orange
Brown-white Brown-white
Brown Brown

Instead of making the cabe, you can go to a computer shop and purchase a cross-over cable premade.

After this all you need to do is configure the laptop's and PC's network setting.For this NetBEUI protocol would work fine.

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by Baziite In reply to Networking

You can buy a serial or parallel crossover cable from the market and use the direct cable wizard to connect the laptop to the PC . Direct cable wizard is found in programs/accessories/communications/direct cable connection/.you don't need a NIC or aHUB .

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by rcube In reply to Networking

You can do it either way. Direct connection of your laptop's PCMCIA LAN card to your PCs network card would only need a cross-connect UTP cable. If you are planning to network additional equipment, you could buy a hub and interconnect the LAN cards. If you'll only need to connect two PCs, then I suggest to use the cross-connect cable.

Under Network Properties, synchronize the WORKGROUP name of the laptop and your PC.
Install Microsoft Network and File and Print sharing service on both machines. Use the same Protocol, say TCPIP or IPX/SPX. After doing the above, reset both machines one at a time w/ the cross-connect cable connected. The light indicator on LAN card of both machines should be ON to indicate connectivity. If this is so, you should now see the other machine from the Network Neighborhood. You could now try sharing a folder or a printer.

Good luck.

Collapse -

Networking

Back to Windows Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next