General discussion

Networking two P.Cs in Win2000

By jtuckett ·
I need to network two computers running win2000. I am using RJ45 cabling with compatibable interface network cards. Installing the cards and making a cable crossover is no problem. However,I am not sure how to set up the protocols in 2000. I have been advised to use NetBEUI, how do I configure this correctly, which win2000 features should I use to configure printer and file sharing. I appreciate this is a very simple question, however I have just started a computing course. Detailed answers would be appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jb14808 In reply to Networking two P.Cs in Wi ...

Get a hub!! THey're cheap and will round out your initial exposure to networking.

TO connect two WIN2K computers together for exchange of files and such do this.

Ensure correct cabling between both machines. (AND YOUR HUB)

If cabling is correct the Data Link indicators should light and flash or flicker to let you know you have a working physical and base data connection.

Set up your "client" computer.

Verify that: Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, netBEUI, and IPX/SPX, Appletalk, etc... are installe dand enable the required protocol by "checking" it.
NOTE: I am merely suggesting you install all of the other protocols, if you're a techneophyte you'll probably be getting to them eventually, so why not get 'em outta the way now?

If you want to do netBEUI, apply changes and exit. Don't restart yet.
Right click on the My computer Icon and click on "Properties"

Click the "Network ID" tab. Click The properties button to set the Workstation Name and the workgroup. Apply those with "OK". "OK" out of My Computer "Properties" and restart.

Go to the other computer "SERVER" and set up comparable settings, making sure that the Workstation NAmes are different but the Workgroups are the same.

Share something.
Right click then Sharing then set as you like. Set up users and such. Hint.. MMC.

Go back to the "Client" which should be back up by now. Click My Net..Places and look there's your server.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by jtuckett In reply to Networking two P.Cs in Wi ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rileylk In reply to Networking two P.Cs in Wi ...

I would use TCP/IP whenever possible, it is much more reliable than Netbeui and will give you good practice. If you are not live on the internet, set up each computer with ip an address such as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0. Under the system icon in the control panel, select network id tab and give each computer a unique name and join the same workgroup. If you are live on the internet with one machine, search the help files for ICS and set up an internet connection share. This will give you local connectivity and allow both machines to surf you internet connection. When in doubt, search the 2000 help files, they are excellent. Look in the index for peer-to-peer networks, creating. It has a number ofdifferent ways to do it. Good luck!

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)