General discussion

Networking two Windows XP and one 2000 computers

By MaratZ ·
I attempted to set up one XP computer (running XP Pro) as a file server for two (XP Pro and 2000) computers. On Win 2000 PC I am unable to see computers and shares in My Network Places. I get "browser elections" error messages on both the XP Pro and 2000 PCs. Also, is it possible to NOT use NetBIOS for file sharing altogether since these are not 'legacy' OSs?

Help appreciated

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

XP Firewall, Subnet, Workgroup

by t.stauch In reply to Networking two Windows XP ...

You should take the following steps:

- Check the XP firewall status
- Do all PC use the same subnetmask (f.e. 255.255.255.240 for a 14 PC subnet)
- Do all PC use the same workgroup name
- Do You see the W2K from the XP stations
- Always allow a little time for the network to reach convergence (up to 15 minutes).

If all these precautions apply try pinging
from each pc to each other.
Temporarily deactivate the XP Firewalls and try pinging again.
Net BIOS is only for name resolution in a Windows environment. If You prefer using IP-adresses instead it will work as well (after solving the other problems)

Good luck.

Collapse -

Domain Registration

by as_kalyan In reply to Networking two Windows XP ...

Dear Maratz

first u need to findout the domain name then u need to register the domain on other client PC. if u able register the domain successfully then u can able to access both the PC in network.

if not able to register u need to check you network configuration.

S Kaliyan

Collapse -

Domain Registration

by as_kalyan In reply to Networking two Windows XP ...

Dear Maratz

first u need to findout the domain name then u need to register the domain on other client PC. if u able register the domain successfully then u can able to access both the PC in network.

if not able to register u need to check you network configuration.

S Kaliyan

Collapse -

Services

by dafe2 In reply to Networking two Windows XP ...

Check the Network Location Awareness Service. Dissable it on all but one of the systems. It controls the "Browser" functions. Each of your systems is trying to be the "Master Browser".

You don't ever "need" NetBios. Without it you'll have to access your shares using each systems IP.

Collapse -

by MaratZ In reply to Networking two Windows XP ...

T.Stauch - Thank you. Here are responses to your questions.
1. Firewall is off (temporarily)
2. Same subnetmask
3. Same workgroup
4. Yes
5. I have waited around after restart for more than that.

As_Kalyan - Thank you. I have no idea which domain you're talking about. If it's a domain to join, this network is based on a workgroup.

Dafe2 - Thank you. I will check for that service, however isn't it part of XP, not 2000? I can disable it on one XP machine but I can't disable it on Windows 2000 PC. Is there an equivalent?

How would I conveniently access shares on the server using its IP address? Can I map drives that way? I'd appreciate a step-by-step on this, or at least a nudge in the right direction if the former is too much to ask :)

Thank you all.

Collapse -

using shares by it's ip address...

by kerubino In reply to

"Can I map drives that way?" - Yes you can using one of the methods below...

Use command from command line:
net use drive_letter: \\ip_address\share_name
or use map drive command in windows explorer...

you also can use computer DNS names...
If you use one of your pc for internet sharing, then ICS is enabled on pcs and you need nothing to do. If not, then you can for example add pairs:
ip_address hostname
for every pc in HOSTS file on your pcs, this file do local DNS server's role and dns names are 1st searched in it.

Back to IT Employment Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)