General discussion

Networking Windows 2000 & XP

By letsgotalisman ·
I have two PCs, Windows 2000 Professional and XP home edition, connected by a Netgear router and an Ethernet cable to share my ADSL service. It works fine. Now I am wondering whether I can share the peripherals and drives between the two as well. (Not just shared folders) Windows 2000 system has the internet connection first with a Westell modem. I started with WIndows XP, and it asked me to run the same process on the other PC which is not possible. Would I have to upgrade Windows 2000 toXP? Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Mike Jones In reply to Networking Windows 2000 & ...

I assume that the windows 2000 machine already is networked with tcpip and has access to the internet.

Under 2000, you just need to install File and Printer sharing for the network connection. No Network Setup Wizard needed.

Just make sure that your IP settings are correct and that the workgroup name is the same on both PC's.

What sort of peripherals are you talking about networking?

Collapse -

by letsgotalisman In reply to Networking Windows 2000 & ...

Would you be more specific since I am not familiar with networking concept at all? A step by step instruction would be greatly appreciated. Yes, both the Windows 2000 and XP machines already have the internet connection, but I don't understand what you meant by networked with tcpip. (I simply connected two computers with an ethernet cable, and that's how my secondary system, XP machine, got the internet connection.)

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Networking Windows 2000 & ...

You should not need to upgrade win2000.

Both computers must be in the same workgroup (not a domain -- only because you are using XP Home instead of XP Pro -- Home will not work on a domain).

Both computers must be set for file or printer sharing.

On the Win2000 computer... go to Control Panel --> Users and Passwords and add the WinXP user.

On the WinXP computer... go to Control Panel --> Users and Passwords and add the Win2000 user.

Collapse -

by letsgotalisman In reply to Networking Windows 2000 & ...

I did your go to control panel procedures along with network setup wizard on my XP system. Now what do I do to match that on my 2000 pro system, then to share its printer, a Buslink external drive, and a jaz external drive with XP home system whichhas an internal DVD-R burner to be shared if possible?

Collapse -

by quintar51 In reply to Networking Windows 2000 & ...

First, if you want to share a device/drive, right-click on it, and choose Sharing and Security.

Now, in XP, there's a setting called 'simple file sharing'. I recommend turning it off for now, so that way you'll see exactly how sharing works.

Open My Computer, go to tools, folder options, view tab, and all the way at the bottom, uncheck simple file sharing.

Okay, now if you want share anything, right-click on it, and choose sharing. Then share it. You can also specify who you want accessing it, but by default, it will give everyone access.

next step is to make sure that there are valid user accounts on both machines. For example, You log in as Joe **** on the XP machine. If you want to share something on the 2000 machine, you'll need to create a user account for Joe **** and assign him the same password.

This goes vice-versa for sharing on the XP machine. If Bob Smith logs into windows 2000 and wants to access something on the xp machine, then he'll need to have an account created on the XP machine.

The other thing that comes into play here is if the machines can 'see' each other. You are using a router and by default, it should configure both machines to see each other. You can test this by going to start, run, and typing \\name of the computer. For example, \\WINXP

This will show you all the shared devices on here. You then double-click on what you want to use, and you will be prompted with username/password. Enter the same username/password as the user that's currently logged in.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)