Question

New fibre install with a Cisco 2801 router. What else do I need?

By Tombelluk ·
Hi,
I currently have a setup with a Belkin F5D9630 DSL router feeding directly into 2 x Netgear GS724T which gives about 30 computers access. All the DHCP management is done by the Belkin F5D9630. I know this is not a great way to do this, which is why im looking for advice!
I also have a Windows server that deals with a RAID array as our central storage, but this also just gets an IP from the same place as everything else.
So when I get the 50mb fibre installed with the Cisco 2801 router;
- What should ideally use for IP management?
- Do I need a hardware firewall, or is the one in the 2801 enough?
- How should I add WiFi into this?

Many thanks,
Tom.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Use the Cisco

by robo_dev In reply to New fibre install with a ...

For IP mgt, the Cisco router would be your best bet
There is a firewall software option for the 2801 which works well
There is an integrated WLAN access point option for the 2801 as well.

Alternately, just install an access point, such as a Cisco 1040 series unit.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by Tombelluk In reply to Use the Cisco

Thanks for that robo_dev.
Unfortunately I have just heard that I won't have any access to the Cisco 2801 at all, as its a managed service. So I still need to figure out what is best placed to deal with the DHCP mgmt and where (and what) firewall solution would be best? Does the 2801 have some sort of FW protection that I dont ned to manage?

Thanks for the pointer on the Cisco 1040, that seems to fit the bill!

Collapse -

It depends

by robo_dev In reply to New fibre install with a ...

While pretty much any Cisco router can have the firewall capability added,
I would expect that a ISP provided router would NOT have a firewall, since then they would need to provide support for the firewall, making rule changes and all.

A Windows server makes a fine DHCP server. It plays well with Windows clients, and 30 users is a low number in terms of it's capabilities. Of course, a Cisco router does too.
The advantage of using the Windows server is that the whole LAN does not die if the router does.

Firewalls can go all the way from free into the millions.

My choice would be something like a Cisco ASA5500 series. These are firewalls that also give you clientless SSL VPN. This allows remote access via a web browser with no VPN client.

There are dozens of reasonably priced firewalls from companies like Sonicwall, Zyxel, Watchguard, and of course Cisco.

I don't work for Cisco BTW. I like Cisco stuff because it's reliable, has lots of features, and simply tends to just work. It's not cheap, though, and if you're on a tight budget, then you may need to consider other brands.

With firewalls, you pay for speed and features. While almost any firewall will protect your network and PCs, what gets complicated is when the boss tells you next month that you need to host a half-dozen web servers, or he wants to remote-connect via his iPad, and suddenly you're throwing out what you bought.

http://www.networkworld.com/topics/firewall-utm.html
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tutorial/How-to-choose-the-best-firewall-for-your-enterprise

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)