General discussion

New SCSI Drive in Netware 4.11

By joshg ·
We recently had a failed mirror drive in our external Kingston DataSilo attached to a Compaq Server. The DataSilo is connected via Wide SCSI. In the Silo there were two 2GB Quantum 50 pin SCSI drives, then an externally connected HP SureStor tape drive. When I replaced the failed 2GB drive with a Western Digital Vantage 9.1GB Ultra SCSI 68 pin using an adapter, the server recognizes all of the drives. When Netware loads however the compaq disk drivers fail to load when it finds the WD drive. Then when ArcServe runs it fails to load becuse the PFC detected an error.

Any clues? I have to unplug the 9.1GB drive to get the server to continue to function properly, leaving no mirror. There are no SCIS ID conflicts and the external Tapedrive is terminated. The adapter that I used to go from 68pin to 50pin was an active terminator. Do I need a different adapter or maybe updated Compaq disk drivers?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rogerndgreen In reply to New SCSI Drive in Netware ...

"the external Tape drive is terminated. The adapter that I used to go from 68pin to 50pin was an active terminator"

It sounds to me like you've put two terminators in the chain when you should only have one. (the host adaptor card will have the other end of the chain).

Your sequence should be Card-disk1-disk2-tape-terminator.
From your description you have got card-disk1-terminator-disk2-tape-terminator.

I would suggest that you get a different adaptor, but don't forget that you will only be able to use 2 GB of the WD disk as it has to mirror the Quantum.

Good luck

Roger

Collapse -

by joshg In reply to New SCSI Drive in Netware ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by DRDON In reply to New SCSI Drive in Netware ...

Verify the compatibility of the new WD drive with the storage unit.

Check the termination on the new Drive.

Next, check the configuration of the SCSI card for the LUN number of the WD drive

If the terminator on the drive and adapter are ok and the drive is supported in the storeage unit, check the adater manufacture for pinouts. Some of the adapters 68-50 pin miss connecting some of the pins which can cause flaky results.

Your troubleshooting reveals the cabinet, controller and SCSI cables are OK so the issue is with the WD drive. And since it is a different size (9.1 GB vs 2 GB) check WD for how it handles the geometry of the drive.

HTH

Collapse -

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to New SCSI Drive in Netware ...

First: You should not use a terminator. There is one at the tape drive!

Try this: remove tape drive and tape.terminator
Boot. If it works, terminator is your problem!
If it NOT works, then check for Jumpers in the HD unit. Sometimes there is one jumper for activating a terminator builded inside the HD unit.

Thank you for Rating my effort!

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)