Question

New Windows 2003 Install

By C'Town LarryMac ·
I'm currently setting up an AD domain for a company that currently exists as a workgroup.

I have installed Windows Server 2003 and created the domain but I can't get a test machine to connect to it. But machines have connectivity in that they can connect to the network and then the Internet, but when I try to add the test machine to the domain I get an error stating that "An Active Directory Domain Controller could not be contacted". The details indicate that the "DNS name does not exist".

I've verified that DNS is up and running on the server and that the test machine is using the server's IP to resolve DNS.

This is the first time I've built one from the ground up so I'm sure that I'm missing something easy but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

On the PC

by bart777 In reply to New Windows 2003 Install

Make sure that the new AD server is the ONLY DNS server that the client PC is looking to.

If it's doing IP resolution from elsewhere first then it can get lost when trying to get to the domain. By removing any extra DNS servers from the mix you are assured that it will only look to the server. Also while you're at it verify that the server has it's DNS forwarders configured correctly so that the client machines only need to resolve to the server and not to an exteranl DNS server. Let the new server do it's job.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -

Hurry up and wait

by C'Town LarryMac In reply to On the PC

Thanks for the reply. I had it looking only at the one DNS server and thought that the forwarder was correct.

It appears that it just hadn't published through AD or soemthing (or the DNS was still cached on the test machine) because when I went back to try it again it worked.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)