General discussion

Newbie to Win2000 network

By teke ·
I've just setup a Win2000 Server and have made it a domain controller. This is my only server. I have less than 20PCs to set up. I'm confortable with an NT environment and am dealing with active directory, but so far I'm not getting my Win98 PCs to connect. I know my cabling is good as I have peer to peer working. I've added my test PC (PC01) to my computer list, I've got my username in the users, but I guess I need a quick reference "how to" for getting a PC to connect. I'm not even sure if I'm using the right domain name on the work station, or what workgroup name to use. Anybody want to give me a quick step by step on this? Perhaps suggest a good, easy to understand manual?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Newbie to Win2000 network

Hi,

In order to do this, you'll need to create computer accounts in the domain using the user manager for domains from memory.

Then follow the instructions for joing the domain below. Its for a Uni, but change the bits you need to from the example.

http://www.outlook.unh.edu/faq/domain98.htm

(remove spaces from the above URL)

Cheers,
Tim

Collapse -

by teke In reply to Newbie to Win2000 network

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Newbie to Win2000 network

Here's 4 books to get you started:

Active Directory for Dummies
Windows 2000 Server for Dummies
Windows 2000 Networking for Dummies
Windows 2000 Administration for Dummies

This is not to say you are a Dummy. I really like this series and always recommend them for beginners. They tend to give a beginner a good foundation on a given subject, without a lot of techno-jargon, while managing to inject some humor in what is usually a dry subject. You probably don't need all 4 as much material appears to be redundant.

When you say 'cannot connect', do you mean cannot log on to the domain, cannot access any shared resources, or connect browse the network?

If you can't log on, that is a good indication that you have an incorrect domain name or improper user credentials. If this is the case, what error message are you geting at the log-on screen? To find out what domain name you should be using, go to the server. Open up your Start menu | Programs | Administrative Tools | Active Directory Domains and Trusts. Your Active Directory (AD) domain should be the only one showing. It will be in the DNS form like "mydomain.com."

All Win2k computers (and later) recognize this form of domain name. Windows prior to Win2K recognize only a NetBIOS domain name (an NT domain name is a NetBIOS domain name). Right-click the domain name and choose properties. You will see a window labeled "Domain name (pre-Windows 2000):" This is the NetBIOS domain name and the one you should use to log-on with.

BTW, once you get logged on, chances are you will have problems with Win98 computers browsing the network if you don't have WINS installed on your server. WINS is crucial to browsing for Win98 computers.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Actually, I fixed this myself from some online reading. I installed WINS and set it on the PC. I was on. Now I have to figur out the scripting. I did find the group policy manager and added an "old fashion" .bat script, but it doesn't sem to run. Time for more online research.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)