General discussion

NNTP and port 119

By jlawson2004 ·
I'm running a Windows 2k server and IIS 5.0. When I try starting the NNTP service from within the Internet information Services snap-in it generates an event saying, "Can't bind to instance 1". When I change the NNTP port to 120 and attempt to start the NNTP service it starts fine. I ran a netstat -an and the only thing I see listening on tcp port 119 is the ip 0.0.0.0 . I've searched technet and can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NNTP and port 119

by Joseph Moore In reply to NNTP and port 119

Did you specify only the IP address you want NNTP to run on in the properties of the NNTP server? That might take care of this.
If not, try Technet article 238131 which disables socket pooling in IIS. Trust me: you want to disable it!

http://tinyurl.com/7anl

hope this helps

Collapse -

NNTP and port 119

by jlawson2004 In reply to NNTP and port 119

Looks like disabling socket pooling was the solution. Thanks!

Collapse -

NNTP and port 119

by LordInfidel In reply to NNTP and port 119

This error can occur for several reasons, but basically, IIS is not able to bind to the port or IP address specified in your settings, because another program or service is already using them.

When your computer boots or when you manually start the Microsoft Internet Information Server service, Event Viewer may log the following event:
Event ID : 115
Source : w3svc
Description : The service could not bind instance X.

So look in IIS and see how many NNTP servers you have running.

If all elese fails, make a backup of your metabase, remove IIS. and then start up netstat and see if 119 is still bound.

if it is then something else is listening on that port.

If you have netcat, you can see what it returns byentering in nc -vv IP 119 then just type in get and press enter. and see what it returns.

Collapse -

NNTP and port 119

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

NNTP and port 119

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)