General discussion

No distinctive ring in Windows 2000

By gavin ·
For some strage reason, Microsoft decided to leave Distinctive Ring supprot OUT of Windows 2000 Professional and Server.

I know for me this has laready led to two clients having to pay for spererate phone lines after upgrading to W2K, when previously, one line with distinctive ring did the job well.

Has anyone found a way around this glaring omission?

Gavin

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

3rd party

by Klingon In reply to No distinctive ring in Wi ...

You have to get this or something similar. It's a 3rd party device to separate the incoming calls.

http://www.callmgmtprod.com/prod02.htm

Thanks Microsoft.
Klingon

Collapse -

Hardware Modem for Distinctive Ring

by jwilliamson In reply to 3rd party

I asked Microsoft and was told I needed a hardware modem that supported Distinctive Ring in its driver (not Win2K TAPI). US Robotics told me two of their modems meet the bill (USR5686D/V.92 External Faxmodem; 3CP5610A/Performance Pro). Both are cheaper than the ring device you mentioned, and you get a hardware modem (V.92) to boot! I believe the theory is that the modem recognizes the ring patterns as set in the driver, and answers accordingly. I have not tried this. Symantec tech support has not/won't confirm that WinFax Pro will work with this approach, but I don't see why not. Just don't depend on Win2K or WinFax Pro to do the detecting. Best regards, John

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)