General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dennisbv ·

I am perplexed. My computer that I installed Win 2000 pro on (it was NT 4.0 w/sp6). I restarted my computer after removing Winfax pro and no I have no Icons. My computer starts I get the login prompt and I enter my password, it will say it is loading personal preference. Then I recieve a box error conecting to network drive name is already in use(this drive holds nothing but files I have saved there, its my network share) Then my Desktop background appears and that is it. I have No icons, toolbars or task bar. Just my background. What is going on. I even tryed to enter safe mode. Do I just need to reinstall? I used the Repair function and get to the command prompt but I did not know what to do.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dennisbv ·

In reply to No Icons On Win 2000 pro

I forgot that if I go to another computer and browse network neihbor hood I can access a shre on my computer even though I have nothing but my background on my screen.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by george.e ·

What I would suggest is for some scripts; maybe the script is written for windows 98 rather, and ask the net admin for any group policies running on the lan.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by gperrie ·

Maybe explorer.exe has a problem. It’s the file that displays the desktop, start bar etc.

Try starting it manually, press Ctrl+Alt+Del when the background appears, choose Task Manager then the New Task button. In the box type explorer.exe

Gavin

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by shanghai sam ·

Try this:
      Right click on your background to see if the dropdown menu appears. If it does, put your cursor over “Active Desktop”. If “Show Web Content” is checked, “Show Desktop Icons” must also be checked for you to see them. You could also uncheck”Show Web Content” and get the icons to show up. If that works, then move the cursor all the way to the bottom of the screen & see if the task bar pops up. If not, try moving to the top, then each side. If it does pop up at some point, right click it and select properties. In properties, uncheck the autohide box. I hope at least some of this works. If not, you may have to get the data you can from your share through another pc on the network & do a clean install of W2k. Best of luck.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dennisbv ·

No mouse right or left clicks or no Keyboard. I have to use the power button to shutdown. I have waited for the icons as long as an hour.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by timwalsh ·

First, the fact that you can connect to a share on your computer from another computer, and the fact that you get a blank desktop at logon are 2 seperate and unrelated issues. The data still exists on your computer, therefore you can get to it fromanother computer (as long as the data exists on a shared drive). Can you connect to your network share from other computers?

What I suspect is that your profile (which contains all the information related to desktop objects) exists on your network share. Since you can’t connect to your network share, you can’t access your profile, hence no desktop.
      Can you log on to your computer successfully using either the Computer Administrator account or some other user account? If so, this would definitely support my suspicion.
      From the error message, it’s possible that you had set up an automatic mapping to your network share and know a log-on script (tied to your user account) is attempting to map the same share a second time. Get yournetwork administrator to turn off share mapping in your user account to see if this corrects the situation.

Hope this helps.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dan_hammock ·

Your profile is probably corrupt. Try logging on as administrator. If that works: backup your profile, delete the profile, try logging back in.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dennisbv ·

The profile was not corrupt, what I found was that a zip drive that was installed had recieved the same drive letter as my network folder, since I corrected this I have no longer had the problem.

No Icons On Win 2000 pro

by dennisbv ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 6 reply threads