General discussion

Norton 2002 will not load

By Joey325 ·
I have a clients computer that is running Win XP Home version. I have on numerous occasions attempted to install Norton Utilities 2002 on that computer but the setup.exe refuses to move into the Installshield extraction mode. I have tried cleaning out the SysTray, and closing all non-essential processes in the Task Manager. I have even considered corrupted files and done a reinstall of WinXP (not as easy a task as previous versions). I am wits end. I would appreciate all suggestions.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Are you attempting installation using an administrator account?

Collapse -

by Joey325 In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Maybe you didn't notice how clearly I made myself up there. I'm not an idiot here.

Collapse -

by quintar51 In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

is norton 2002 utilities compatible with XP?

Collapse -

Ask your own question.

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you, but no place does it mention you were attempting installation as an administrator. Since even the best of us sometimes forget to do the simple things, that's where I started. The symptoms you describe are very similar to trying to load an application without the correct permissions. Have you checked the event viewer for any errors/warnings in the application and system logs?

Please be aware that we usually have no way of ascertaining the skills or experience of a question poster. Therefore you are likely to get answers suggesting easy/simple solutions first.

Collapse -

There is only ONE user on this machine. I am the one who did the original installation of WinXP Home, and the client has complete administrator rights. Who else is there?

Collapse -

by Vanquisher In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

First, Norton 2002 Utilities, Clean Sweep, Antivirus, and Sytem Works are all compatible with Win XP as I have them all running rather nicely on my system.
Secondly, Tim's hit the nail right on the head, so to speak, these programs must be run under administrator login, user accounts will not release permissions to allow these and other OS maintenance programs to be installed. Login as administrator and load away...

Collapse -

Only one user, and no administrator account that is separate.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Is Norton 2002 only program you have trouble of installing? If you were able to install other programs but had some difficulty, I would say that hardware is causing the problem. M/B, RAM, or CPU, in that order. Try to replace the RAM, CPU, and then M/B, in that order because Ram is the easiest to replace and the M/B the hardest.

Collapse -

Only Norton Utilities 2002 refuses to start up. Just recently installed Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7.0, and Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next