Question

Not Reading extra RAM in PC3200

By yaar777 ·
I have a pentium 4, 3.0 PC3200 with 512MB crucial 400MHZ RAM. To increase my RAM I bought a 1GB 400MHZ Kingstone RAM, and I put it in second space inmy motherborad. I have not seen a big difference in my computer.

Now I checked my RAm from system information, I learned my computer only reading 1024MB RAM. There is a uncompatibilty between Kingston and Crucial RAMs or I should do something to activate both RAMs in my PC.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You could try this out and see if your memory is fixed..

Boot into your BIOS and select "load default settings" and then "save and exit". Now go into your BIOS again and see if the memory readings are more than "1024".
If they are then it should show on/in Windows when you boot up. If not then just leave in the 1gb ram chip and see if this is seen properly in the BIOS. If ok then add on the other ram and do another test in the BIOS to see if both memory chips are seen.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

Depends entirelly on your M'Board

by OH Smeg In reply to Not Reading extra RAM in ...

The M'Board may not be capable of mapping a 1 GIG RAM Stick and it is reading this as a 512 MEG Ram Stick.

Even if it is capable of Mapping a 1 GIG Stick if you have High Density RAM this may not be compatible with the M'Board. It all depends on your M?Board here.

You?ll need to read the M?Board Manual to see what it can use and then check to see that you have the right type of RAM. You need to look at more than just the Speed of the RAM.

High Density Ram only has Integrated Circuits on one side of the RAM Stick and Low Density RAM uses both sides of the RAM Stick.

Col

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)