General discussion

Novell 3.12 Printer Setup

By jeff ·
I need to install a printer as a network printer in a Novell 3.12 environment. I would like to connect the printer to a workstation. What does it take step by step to install that printer so that it will be accessible by anyone on the network as anetwork printer? Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JimBb In reply to Novell 3.12 Printer Setup

-First of all make sure the printer functions locally, has the correct driver etc.

-Using PCONSOLE you should create a printqueue for it. It's been a loooong time, so I'm not 100% sure of the menus. Select Print Queue Information, and press Insert to create a new queue. If I recall correctly, by default "everyone" can use the queue.

-Using the same PCONSOLE, in the Print Server Information option, you select your printserver, then Print Server Configuration, then Printer Configuration. In there, replace a "not Installed" printer by whatever you wish to call it (like "Joe's Laser"). The default parameters are OK, but make sure it's a "Remote Parallel" type.

-So, there is a queue and a printer. Now you link them. Still in PCONSOLE, in Print Server Information|your print server|Print Server Configuration|Queues serviced by printer|your new printer, press Insert, select your new queue.

-When everything is saved, reload your PSERVER.NLM, to read the corrected information.

-On the station, run RPRINTER. Without parameters, it's menu-driven. You'll need the printserver and the printer number. As a command line, it's "RPRINTER printserver printernumber".

-Then you have to make sure that via a login script you capture a port to that printer (CAPTURE l=2 Q=MyQueue)(and some more parameters if you need them. My favourites were NB NFF NT TI=10)

-And then install the drivers on any machine that should use it, and connect that to whatever port you used in the capture command ("l=2" means LPT2).

A word of warning though. NPRINTER is a TSR, and Windows doesn't really like those... You may need to restart it often. It may never work smoothly. Remember, this is last century's technology. A printserver, like HP's JetDirect, may be a more reliable thing to use.

Jim

Collapse -

by jeff In reply to Novell 3.12 Printer Setup

Thanks a lot! Your instructions were on target.

Collapse -

by jeff In reply to Novell 3.12 Printer Setup

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)