General discussion

Novell 3.12 to Windows Server?

By sjs777 ·
Cost is $10,000.00 to switch from Novell 3.12 Server to Windows 2000 Server. Cost includes Windows Server and 3 Workstations. All application software including software which runs our company is Windows based. Should I have our small company make the switch?
Thanks,
Steve

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BudTheGrey In reply to Novell 3.12 to Windows Se ...

Unfortunately, there's not enough information in your post to draw a conclusion. What business needs are to try to meet? IOW, what are your goals?

FWIW, you're qualified for upgrade pricing to Netware 6. You didn't state the overall size of your network, but if the three workstations are it, the cost for the Netware software (5 users) is < $500. Win2K with 5 users is, I think, around $900.

There's also a special version called "Netware for Small Business" (SBS). It includes softwarefor a faxserver e-mail server, and firewall/proxy server. The cost is higher, but there's a great deal of functionality in the box.

OTOH, if you have a netware 3.12/3.2 server that's been patched for Y2K, and it's working just fine, why change at all? Maybe a hardware upgrade, but moving a NW3 server to new hardware is very easy.

So, we come back to the question -- what are you looking to accomplish?

Collapse -

by sjs777 In reply to Novell 3.12 to Windows Se ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Richard Woodard In reply to Novell 3.12 to Windows Se ...

As the other person indicated, not enough information, however as a installer of Netware and Windows 2000 Server. I have customers that have both, the ones that I get more support calls on a 5 to 1 basis is the Windows 2000 clients. They continue tohave issues with the Windows 2000 Server, for one reason or another. The only time I need to visit the Netware clients is to do any recommended Service Pack updates, nearly all of the Netware clients Server run's for months without any issues. We only restart the server, because "we Can". As for the Windows 2000 Server clients, we restart those servers on a more regular basis because "we have to". If you want stability, and if you continue with the existing software in your company... i.e. Accouting, Business software, and there are no updates in the horizon that may require you to go to a Windows 2000 Server. I would do the update to Netware 6 Small Business assuming that you have less than 50 users. And be done with it. As the other person indicated, there are many new features that come with Netware 6 that you currently don't have. Be sure as always to check to make sure you have the needed hardware for the upgrade.

richard

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ananthap In reply to Novell 3.12 to Windows Se ...

As an early CNE (2.11 and 3.12) - now advising DBAs working in NW 4, SBS, NT 4, SCO etc, I couldn't agree more with you all that Novell is more stable and better. Really!

But, oh but.. it's true that:
(1) You are actually getting 4 wokstations when you switch to Windoze. (Remember that in NW, the server is dedicated).
(2) Also, many vendors release first on Windoze platforms. This includes many anti-virus products too.
(3) Don't think that NW isn't vulnerable to virus attacks. NW servers serving Novell offices in my part of the world were affected by Klez.

In the long run, migration to Windoze is very difficult to avoid.

End of mail.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Susantci In reply to Novell 3.12 to Windows Se ...

I would switch to netware 6. You have to get away from 3.12. There is a promotion running now on these upgrades. There is no Netware equivalent to the applications that you use!!?? What are you running? Just because an application is windows based does not mean you need a Windows 2000 server. Databases can be kept on a Netware server and accessed by Windows programs on the desktop. Are you the NetAdmin for this small company?

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)