General discussion

NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS 20003 SERVER

By Hectorh ·
GOING TO UPGRADE FROM NOVELL 4.11 TO NOVELL 6.5 OR MICROSOFT 2003 SERVER. I don't know what to do in this case? REASONS ARE: WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO VPN TO MAIN OFFICE AND USE OUR RESOURCES FROM ANYWHERE. (PC'S, PRINTERS, ETC.). WE ALSO HAVE A SMALL BRANCH OFFICE AND WILL LIKE TO CONNECT BOTH OF THEM OR AT LEAST VPN BETWEEN THE TWO. THERE IS ALSO AN OPTION FOR EVERYBODY TO SHARE E-MAIL CONTACT LIST. WE ARE ALSO GETTING A NEW SERVER.
ANY HELP THANK YOU

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS ...

WELL I AM A NETWARE, (sorry) person since day one. I offer this white paper:
http://www.novell.com/info/collateral/docs/4621266.05/4621266.html
and then if you really want good use GroupWise for your email rather than Exchange, my twwo cents worth.

Collapse -

by gpartridge In reply to NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS ...

This would be very easy to setup using Windows Server 2003. Despite the intial migration,2003 server is far easier to maintain. Mircrosoft offer better support than Novell and Outlook offers a better end user interface than Groupwise.
We are currently migrating most Netware servers to this platform, because of these reasons. Public Folders in Exchange will allow you to share contacts and Calendars and setup permissions on these folders.
You will also find that Novell Webmail is problematic and not as much time goes into designing third-party software for Netware as does for Windows.

Don't get me wrong we do have Netware 6.5 running smoothly at some sites, but they require a lot more work when it comes to installation of software.

Collapse -

by BudTheGrey In reply to NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS ...

You don't mention how many users, how many branches, VPN just from the branch or from hotel rooms too.

NetWare 6.5 is light-years ahead of the version you are running now. The management tools have changed some -- many are web based, now -- and the feature set is much richer. Out of the box, NetWare comes with file/printer sharing, internet printing, MySQL database server, Apache web server, perl, and PHP.

NetWare 6.5 is also licened differently than 4.11 You purchase user licenses, and can deploy as many servers as you wish at no additional cost (other than the hardware). NetWare 6.5 also includes a 2-node clustering license out of the box.

(continued)

Collapse -

by BudTheGrey In reply to NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS ...

(continued)

Novell offers an additional product called "branch office". Basically, it is a stripped down file server that is configured to replicate files with the main office server. This has the advantage of minimizing WAN traffic and boosting performance at the remote site.

Finally, I have to mention what I think is one of the best new features of NetWare 6.5; iFolder & NetStorage. Simply put, iFolder is a mechanism that automatically replicates the contents of your "My Documents" folder to the server. If the server goes down, you can still get your files. If your workstation belly-ups, all you files are safely on the server and are brought back down when the PC is repaired or replaced.

NetStorage gives you encrypted access to those files via a web browser from anywhere.

Virtual office is an extension of the iFolder / NetStorage concept for teams.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

by tprescott In reply to NOVELL 4.11 TO 6.5 OR MS ...

I am actually in the same situation. It most surely costs more upfront to upgrade to Win 2003 servers than Netware 6.5. Does anyone know where I can find Total cost of Ownership analysis for both. How about average uptime for each?

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)