General discussion

Novell 6 to Windows 2003

By rickweigand ·
Any feedback from anyone that has done or is doing a Novell 6 to Windows 2003 conversion? We have about 60 Novell 6 servers in 10 locations throughout the US.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

The best tip: DON?T DO IT!

by Jose Mir In reply to Novell 6 to Windows 2003

Why may some medium size organization (with 60 servers in 10 locations across the country I?m sure your company is not a 10 employees shop) could want to migrate an open and solid platform to a more unstable and limited one?

If you want to give money away please send me a check!

Regards,

Jose.-

Collapse -

unstable?

by MaxPower1111 In reply to The best tip: DON?T DO IT ...

We are a total Win2000 and 2003 shop. We migrated from Novell 4 and 5. Guess what, we never have stability issues. It's all in the configuration and management. The only people who I hear, gabbing aimlessly about 2000 and 2003 instability, are those who know nothing or little about said platforms. Most people who knock Microsoft platforms do so because they think that they sound somehow "above" those who don't prefer Novell or Linux. I believe the word I'm looking for is "pompous". Anyone who can't configure a Microsoft server to perform securely and stable, should pick up a book or two. Seriously dude.

Collapse -

why not?

by rickweigand In reply to Novell 6 to Windows 2003

We have about 2000 employee in those 10 locations. I get your opinion, but any facts to backup up the "don't do it"?

Collapse -

General Considerations

As we all know technical reasons are not the only ones behind technical decisions. Business strategy could call for a new platform direction and there is little to do when this happen.

Money talks, and, in despite of what Neil Diamond could think, it sings, dances and walks. So, if your company has found a good deal in which migrating to Windows 2003 will cost less than upgrading to NetWare 6.5 there is not too much to say. I can only hope you have considered in the equations the terms regarding ?Hardware Upgrades? and ?Men Hours?.

On the other hand, a migration project like that will have some management cost and will impact your organization?s normal operative in some way. But I?m sure you have considered business continuity issues while transitioning.

I?ve seen migration (from NW to M$) decisions based on the idea that ?start from scratch is going to be easier than fix this poorly planned and managed octopus-like system?. If this is your organization?s problem, it is going to be faster, easier and cheaper to properly re-engineer the system, adding some common sense to the probably chaotic scenario in which entropy has played his master role with the NDS tree.

Upgrading to NetWare 6.5 will need far less server hardware upgrade than any flavor of Windows 2003 Server; it will take less men hours, and will give your organization with a stronger infrastructure. And you shouldn?t base your migration decision on the opinion of those ?Networking Engineering in 6 month? professionals which believe that LAN MANAGER (the core technology of M$ system from Win 3.1 to Win2003 Datacenter Srv.) was a Microsoft invention!

Regards,

Jose.-

Collapse -

Technical considerations

by Jose Mir In reply to General Considerations

SECURITY:
NetWare is a much secure than Windows Server in viruses and external intruders issues. The same could be said in regard to GroupWise against Exchange. The number of security breaches and threats are countless in Microsoft products, and just a few in the Novell world.

STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
NetWare has a proven stability advantage against Windows Servers. Even if you don?t have extensive experience in mixed environments can easily comprehend the huge difference in MTBF (mean time between failures) and MTTR (mean time to repair) that tenths of millions of lines of code can create. If you are not 100% convinced that on the same hardware NetWare is far more stable and faster than Windows Servers then you have to see it by yourself. But be careful, exceptions exist all the time so don?t let a few M$ devotes opinions to blind you about this. Prove it by yourself in a REAL PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT before it becomes too late!

NDS, CENTRALIZED ADMINISTRATION AND MIXED ENVIRONMENTS.
Is not news that NDS is many megaparsecs ahead of AD. And if you want to deploy a branch office scenario with centralized administration NDS is your only serious possibility. Even the administration of the enterprise wide policies are much easier and much much effective in NDS environments than in AD ones. As a matter of fact, one way to increase security and simplify administration in Windows networks is to deploy NDS on them.

Regards,

Jose.-

Collapse -

More technical considerations

by Jose Mir In reply to General Considerations

BRANCH OFFICES AND REMOTE ACCESS.
Do you want to simplify the remote offices communication, data interchange and administration? If so Novell is once more the answer. Take a good look at Novell Branch Office and Virtual Office. The solutions you will be able to deploy are going to be faster, more stable, cheaper, and easier to manage.

CLUSTERING, BUSINESS CONTINUITY AND DISASTER RECOVERY
Geographically distributed clustering? With heterogeneous servers? Extensive fail-over solutions? Fast disaster recovery? And all of this without asking for a half million dollar loan to your banker? Novell again is far ahead of Microsoft.

OPEN SOURCE FRIENDLY.
Do I have to say something about it? I think not.

Regards,

Jose.-

Collapse -

Which are your reasons to migrate?

May I ask you about your reasons and business considerations to perform the platform migration?

Are you planning to leave the same servers hardware (upgraded)? Or are you planning to replace everything?

I?m curious about it, and maybe it could be useful for your company to hear a different bell.

Regards,

Jose.-

Collapse -

Hmmm....

by pgm554 In reply to Which are your reasons to ...

So let me get this right, your company wants to add up to 3 Windows 2003 systems to replace what one Novell system does at your branch offices right now?

Yeah, one DC, one file and print, and one for Exchange .Sounds like a plan.

Could I sell you the hardware?

Couple of dual Xeon's and 4 gigs of RAM, to do what one Novell Branch Office box with a 1 gig processor and a gig of RAM can do.

You guys sound like a salesman's dream.

But wait a minute, the CMP.COM, kinda tells me that M$ does a whole lotta advertising with you folks, so I wonder if this is more political than practical?

Hmmmm?

Collapse -

Did you get any useful feedback

by talon926 In reply to Hmmm....

As was stated earlier, sometimes it's not about what is the best technology. So, a migration from Novell to MS may be a done deal. If so, how is it going? What issues did you run into. I'm an IT consultant and we are working through 2 migrations right now (early stages). These are small/medium networks. Going from NW 6 to MS SBS 2003. The SBS platform is a good bundle of products and the price point is attractive. The current environment uses POP3 to a ISP mail server but will be changing to local Exchange accounts after migration.

Another point, this guy asked for some help on the migration - not about if it was a good idea. Please stop attacking and offer some advice about his particular (and mine) need.

Thx!

Back to IT Employment Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)