General discussion

NT/2000 Migration

By rob ·
I currently have two servers running - a NT 4 and a Windows 2000. I have not installed Active Directory onto for 2000 yet. I would like to have the 2000 box be the PDC. When I start to install Active Directory, it will not let me keep the same domain name (Ex. server), but calls the domain server0. Most of the clients are NT4 workstations, so I must contend make sure their profiles are intact. It is not possible for me to upgrade the NT4 server as it is archaic and will not meet the 2000 serverminimum requirements. Please provide as complete answer as possible. Thanks for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

by deltree In reply to NT/2000 Migration

Just an idea. I'm not sure if it would work as I have not tried this myself.
remove the W2k server from the domain. (i.e. make it a workgroup server.) Then run DCpromo.
Another idea would be to remove the W2K box from the network entirely. Thatway it doew not find a DC on the network.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

by rob In reply to NT/2000 Migration

What happens to all of the workstations logging on with
their previous profiles. I believe they will create new
profile which means the users wntire profile will have to be reconfigrued.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

by curlergirl In reply to NT/2000 Migration

The problem is that your NT4 server is currently your PDC - in other words, you're running on an NT 4.0 domain, not a Win2K domain. You could do one of two things -

1. Remove the Win2K server from the domain and disconnect it from the network.At this point, you can change the server name to whatever you want. Then run DCPROMO to upgrade it to a domain controller, setting the domain name to whatever it should be, and install Active Directory. You'll then have to install and configure anyadditional services (like DHCP, WINS, etc.) that need to be running on your main DC. Then remove the NT server and put the Win2K server in as your first domain controller in the Win2K forest. Then you can upgrade the older server and add it to the domain if desired.

2. Alternatively, you could upgrade the NT 4.0 server to Win2K first, creating it as the first DC in its domain (this will happen automatically since it is currently the PDC in an NT 4.0 domain). Then, you can promote the other Win2K server to a DC after the Win2K domain has been established.

My choice would be #1 if you are planning to completely remove the old NT server anyway. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

What occurs with the existing NT workstation rights that were previously on the NT4 server? I am not familiar with server manager on 2000 server like the one on NT4 server. I do know with NT4 server, NT workstations must join the domain before they have access rights. Even though the domain name the workstation is logging on to is the same as the 2000 server domain mean the server will give it access.

Number 2 is not acceptable since the current server can not be upgraded as provided in my question.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

by Pan 13 x In reply to NT/2000 Migration

here is the best solution for you , reformat the new computewr and install nt4.0 server sp 6 in the same domain. promote this server to the pdc. After the information is replicated from the pdc and bdc. Upgrade the new nt4.0 box to windows 2000. It will then instal active directory and will keep all of you information savely on the old bdc. The BDC should be removed from the network of course whrn you do the upgrade if possible and demoted to a stand alone after the installation is completedto win2k

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

This answer is correct, but there must be a better way
becuase this requires way too much work since the server is
already providing file and print services.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

by timwalsh In reply to NT/2000 Migration

Unfortunately, answer 3 is your only way to go. When migrating an NT4 domain to Win2K (vs. building a new domain from scratch), Win2K (and AD must be installed on the NT4 PDC. There is no other way if you want to maintain all your user accounts and permissions. You have 3 choices here: come up with another NT box to transition to PDC to WIN2k, transition your file/print server to another box, or rebuild your entire domain from scratch.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

I was thinking about the scenario you described last night.
My only real alternative here is to install an NT4 server on another box as a BDC, sync it with the PDC, make it the PDC, upgrade the box it to Win2K, sync it with the current Win2K box, then take it offline. This is unbelievable, I wonder how many other smaller companies that are in the same situation as
we are in.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Migration

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)