General discussion

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

By Aaron_Wurthmann ·
Okay so I am considering enabling the NT/2000 web admin tools as I am coverting my workstaion over to Linux and I still need to be a NT admin. Are any of you using these tools and if so how secure can you make them? Meaning: Is the session in clear text? Are you using HTTPS? Is there a tool for Exchange over the web? Basially how can lock this baby down so that it isn't as exploitable? Or is it exploitable?
(PLEASE DON'T RELPY WITH.. WHY LINUX OR YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING THE SAME OS AS YOUR CLIENTS, OR USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE INSTEAD OF THE WEB TOOLS)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

by Corky132 In reply to NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

Glad you said it for me..

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

Well the reason is that I have two workstations, one is dual boot Windows 2000/Windows 98, that is what my clients are runing. The other is going to be Linux. The idea here is that there is only one way to learn an OS through and through.. live in it and don't give yourself any other options.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

by DC1 In reply to NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

I use the admin and utilize SSL and I have found that to be secure (non-clear text) There may be a 3rd party web based admin tool for exchange. Hopefully Microsoft will release a web based tool with Exchange 2000. Another option is to install terminal server on your 2000 server in admin mode and administer your servers with terminal server client

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

Good answer, but remeber my workstaion will be Linux, terminal server is not an option that I know of on Linux.

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

by wayne.maples In reply to NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

it doesn't have to be either or. add a drive and install linux on the other drive.
I found using a boot disk to be the safest approach to booting into Linux. I have had linux corrupt the mbr. using a boot disk avoids the problems of dual boot relilo.

I prefer native tools. A good alternative is the terminal server option mentioned previously. Assuming there is a linux client.

-Wayne

Collapse -

NT/2000 Web Admin Tools

Huh? Who's question are you answering here? Mine? I didn't ask for HOW to run Linux I asked for how administrate NT from Linux. AND that is the reason why I have two workstations, one is dual boot Windows 2000/Windows 98, that is what my clients areruning. The other is going to be Linux. The idea here is that there is only one way to learn an OS through and through.. live in it and don't give yourself any other options.

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)