Question

NT 4 Domain Migration to AD 2003 user account/passwords

By jsizer ·
I am planning an inplace upgrade of my NT4 domain this weekend. We have laid out all the plans and I have one remaining question I just cannot find the answer to. In the Microsoft white papers it says that the upgrade will migrate the users and group accounts. I however can find nothing saying if my users passwords will be retained or if they will need to have a new password created. Does anyone know the answer to this question.

thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Depends on what you use

by Jacky Howe In reply to NT 4 Domain Migration to ...

You can use Microsoft Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) 2.0, which is free. The latest version of ADMT migrates passwords and user accounts.

Active Directory Migration Tool v.2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=788975b1-5849-4707-9817-8c9773c25c6c&DisplayLang=en

Collapse -

Will not be using ADMT

by jsizer In reply to Depends on what you use

I cannot use ADMT because I am doing an inplace upgrade. During the upgrade the documentation says that it will migrate users and groups and settings from NT4 - 2K3 what it doesn't say it what it actually retains from the user information. I didn't want to assume that it would keep the passwords. I guess I will maybe have to just do the migration and then login as a user and see if it retained them.

Jenn

Collapse -

All that I can suggest

by Jacky Howe In reply to Will not be using ADMT

is to follow Ian's advice Jenn as I haven't had the pleasure of performing an upgrade as yet. A coule of machine accounts is no great drama if that was the only problem that he incurred. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Rob

Collapse -

In Place with 6000 accounts

by ian.hutty In reply to NT 4 Domain Migration to ...

I did an inplace upgrade (some years back) from NT to AD 2000 (then later 2003) and it retained the account passwords. It did however drop a few NT workstation machine accounts and they had to be removed and replaced back in the domain. Then all good!

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)