General discussion

NT 4.0 upgrade to windows 2000

By sphynx ·
Hello,
Need some help from the guru's out there. I am using NT4 as my PDC and i want to updgrade it to windows 2000 with the following options.
1. Install it with no downtime since we are operating 24hous a day.
2. Retain all username and password including groups and permission.

If you can give me detailed information or send me the web site where i can find the instruction i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Sphynx

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by erikdr In reply to NT 4.0 upgrade to windows ...

Microsoft ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool) is a free entry level product which helps probably enough. All steps are detailed in the ADMT doc, download from the website.

However your requirement 1) will be very difficult. Better first test out everything on a replica of your environment (backup made by tape or imaging tools) on a diffrerent server. And even then, after all tests, SOME downtime (a few hours depending on all settings and the number of user accounts) will be unavoidable. Real 99.999% availability, even during upgrades, requires a cluster of servers both on NT and on W2K.

However when the server role is workstation authentication (not IIS or so), with a number of tricks and reshuffling of PDC/BDC roles you can minimise the downtime for workstations...

Hope thiz helpz,

<Erik> - The Netherlandz

Collapse -

by sphynx In reply to NT 4.0 upgrade to windows ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to NT 4.0 upgrade to windows ...

1. Sorry there is not way to do this unless you are setting up a new server to replace the old one! An upgrade of the current server WILL require it to reboot! There is no way around that.
Also the upgrade will stop all services from running, no way around that either.

2. Yes it will retain all users name and info.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)