General discussion

nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

By TechV ·
My network in pc's is not able to ping server(win NT).
I am only able to ping the server in one case :
when I first ping the client from server, then onwards client is able to ping the server,but if client is restarted,its(client) not able to pingthe server.

clients are all assembled ones(non-OEM;PII 32mb SDRAM) and NIC's are of Intel/d-link Make.
Pls let me know the solution

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

by ASteed In reply to nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

ping local host: 127.0.0.1 from each client.
this will tell you if the NICs are working correctly.
If they are then get the clients on the workgroup or domain. Make sure the TCP/IP settings have the DNS details correctly configured. Are you usingDHCP? I'd like to know the Network config - by that I mean TCP/IP settings and what services you have running on the server you're trying to ping.

Collapse -

nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

by yabacaba In reply to nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

For the simple steps to check, is the IP subnet that you have configure correctly? Example the 192.168.0.X and subnet as 255.255.255.0. Is the network card dirvers install correctly? Some times the drivers cause conflict also can get this type of error.

Collapse -

nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

by Tonywildcat17 In reply to nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

Can you ping the server's IP address?? If you can, but cant ping "server" then you probably have a WINS or DNS problem. Try to ping other workstations by their name and by their IP and see if that works.

Collapse -

nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

by ctmoore1998 In reply to nt/9x lan 10/100 nic

First insure that your IP configuration is correct. Ex server 192.168.0.2 sn 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.0.254 This would allow your workstation to have 192.168.0.3-253 address sn 255.255.255.0 and gw 192.168.0.254 where 254 would be a router for internet access or wan connectivity. If IP configuration has been verified next in network neighborhood properties highlite the NIC and click properties. In the advanced tab should be a media type/speed property start at 10 Mbs / half manual setting (defaults are usually auto) and see if you can ping the server if so then set to 100 half and retry. I think it will work at 10 and be intermittent at 100. (verify that you have CAT V cable and not CAT III) also the pin out for cable should be 568b. With clip down pin 1 is on left in order wire should be wht/org, org, wht/grn, blu, wht/blu, grn, wht/brn, brn {1-8} Also are you using DHCP from server??? If so then go into DHCP and make a small exclusion for testing so that you can statically assignan ip. If you still can't ping the server try another hub or make a crossover cable and hook a workstation directly to server. I usually do this for DHCP exclude 1-25 (reserver for servers) exclude 200-254 (reserved for network peripherals ie printers and routers) In any case server must be static and its address excluded from DHCP. If you have WINS make sure to configure in the clients IP properties.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)