General discussion

NT and 3COM 3C509B

By roblesj ·
I have a NT Server with SP5. The network card is now am 3C509B-Combo. I have no problems with the hardware instalation, but I cannot see my local network across TCP/IP. The machine can see other computer, but I think that is ?cause I also installed NETBEUI and this computers are not in my net, they are in INTERNET. Have you an idea? Also, I recently made a clean instalation.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by dandrews In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

what is the ip address you are using for your server/clients?

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by roblesj In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

server: 192.1.1.1
client: consecutive

TNX anyway

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by avachon In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

Hi, you can begin troubleshooting by testing the tcp/ip stack: from the command prompt type ping 127.0.0.1 If you get the 4 replies, tcp/ip is installed correctly. You then can attempt to ping another computer to check connectivity. If that is not okay, check IP addresses, subnet masks to make sure they are correct (I assume you ran a diagnostic on the card to be sure you did not have an IRQ conflict for example). Another thing is to be sure to reapply the service pack after a hardware installation. Hope these suggestions help.

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

ping for 127.0.0.1 is good, so I have well installed tcp/ip. No other one address is replies. Im sure that the mask and the IP address is good 192.1.1.19. Using the Win NT diagnostics tool, I see that the computer have't any problem with the IRQand the SP5 was reapplied.
TNX anyway

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by Bill Cassada In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

If you can see the other computers make sure you have the server in the DOMAIN. If you have left it in a workgroup you will see the others but not yours in the list.

IF this is not the case then I would make sure the SERVER service is running and then attempt to PING the server from the workstations. IF PING works your problem is on the server itself.

The answers above are good, too. Don't rule out anything and good luck!

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

The server service is working. I can't put the DOMAIN name in this computer 'cause I can't create an account for the computer in the server. I can't ping any computer, except itself. Someting else?

TNX anyway

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by McKayTech In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

The first test is to see if you can ping the other computers by IP address. If so, the IP part is fine.

Then try pinging by name. If this part doesn't work, you have a WINS problem and it could be either that WINS is not running on the server or the workstations are not set up to look to the server for WINS information.

Best wishes,

paul

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

Im not using WINS and i cannot ping to other computers. See above.

TNX anyway

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

by kralljd In reply to NT and 3COM 3C509B

If you can ping the local loopback address... (127.0.0.1) and the local IP address...

Ping a machine on the local segment...
If not successful... check your cards config... are you using 10base or 100? Is your network 10 or 100 or both..? are you using switches or hubs? And please don't forget physical connectivity (cables). Some switches do not like the auto settings that some NICs use and the NIC has to be set manually to 10 or 100... you can usually get away with leaving the duplex on auto.

Remember... for 2 machines to talk they have to have a common protocol..

Collapse -

NT and 3COM 3C509B

I can't do it. Im using 10, 100 and we are using hubs. Also, Im sure about the cables, because I can see other machines but they are on internet and I assume that they have NETBEUI. The NIC is a 509B Combo from 3com, so I not have much to configure.

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next