General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

NT BACKUP ON WIN 2000 SERVER

by qb4006 ·

Hello

I am using nt backup on a win 2000 server and I have a problem. I want to schedule a daily full backup. I want to keep five weeks of tapes and then reuse the tapes after week five. My problem is when I schedule the backup I accept all the default tape names which is usually todays date but when I put in a new tape on the next day, the scheduled back up tapes place but the system names the tape the date of when the schedule was first made.
    For example if I create a schedule today, thesystem will name the tape today’s date 3/5/01. but when I put in a tape tomorrow the system will name that tape 3/5/01 also!!! So if I do this all week I have 5 tapes named 3/5/01. The schedule will perform the backup but the tape names are messed up. Can ntbackup do scheduled backups everyday and name a new tape the CURRENT date.

I used to use Arcserve on an NT4.0 system and that did it automatically. All I had to do was put in a new tape everyday and the system would name it the current day.

Any help would be great. I was trying to avoid buying Arcserve 2000

Thanks

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by jtm_vic ·

In reply to NT BACKUP ON WIN 2000 SERVER

The only way I was able to resolve this was to make a different backup job for everyday of the week. Then for every weekly set I would label them Monday 1, Tuesday 1 and so on. I would use Week 1’s set at the beginning of every month to help me track. As for the automatic naming of every media or tape (like in Arcserve or Veritas) I think you can give up. I haven’t found a way. Good Luck.

by rabbit_runner ·

Hi, We recently had a similar problem with the tapes using NT backup on a 2000 server. After MUCH research, calling Microsoft, we learned that there is a bug in the Tape Management utility of Win2K. I have not heard if that problem has been fixed. We had to move to ‘Tapeware’ a free program that comes with a new DAT tape drive.

Lots of luck

by qb4006 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads