General discussion

NT Server - Increased Mem from 64 to 128

By usersmrg ·
I had One Window NT server with 5 Users, i have increase memory from 64 to 128, till its work very slow. And sometimes working speed goes very down, from one option to another it takes lot of time. All other machines are win-95 platform and linked with 10 mbps ethernet card. What i have to do, to increase processing speed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to NT Server - Increased Mem ...

Hi, it would seem, based on your description, that the network speed is the main problem - 10mbps. Depending on what your users are trying to access (e.g., large files, graphics, etc.) this can create slowdowns. Are you running tcp/ip? If you are, you may want to switch to netbeui which is faster and uses less overhead (assuming people don't have to go out on the internet). You also can monitor your server by installing network monitor and also performance monitor to see what is happening during slowdowns (monitor from a machine that is not the server). I suspect it's the network speed though. If you can afford it, you may want to look at 10/100 cards for fast ethernet. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by usersmrg In reply to NT Server - Increased Mem ...
Collapse -

by Tony Beresford In reply to NT Server - Increased Mem ...

Could be the Network (10 MBPS). But with only 5 users, then most of the time they will have the network to themselves. Check cabling, could be Cycle Redundancy Check errors.

128 Mbytes should be ample for this number of users.

Is the server "trashing". In other words, is there a lot of disk activity that you cannot account for? If so, check the swap file size, and disk fragmentation. (The claim that fragmentation is not a problem with NTFS is a myth). If you are using FAT, change to NTFS PDQ.

If it is not anything obvious, try a server reload. If that fails, you will need to play around with Performance monitor.

Collapse -

i am using ntfs only, i will check with swap file size, how should be it

Collapse -

by zinnix In reply to NT Server - Increased Mem ...

Hi.

Have you updated the swap file after adding memory? you should make it 128+12 MB(140mb).
Also, have how is he configured in "server" under
network in control panel? optimized for network?
if the server itself works slow, you can
check itusing performance monitor and
task manager.
Also it is always good to have the latest service pack (6a for now).

Good Luck.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jimcrutchfield In reply to NT Server - Increased Mem ...

Very Basic, for five users that should not be a problem. On one site visit of a customer complaining of a slow down problem, they said every time I came on site the problem went away. The problem was tracked down to a 3d screen saver, that used 100%resources. Just a suggestion.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)