General discussion

NT to 2000 Upgrade Domain problems

By johanesian ·
I am dealing with a single NT domain in my organization. I have created a test network which is the same as my current net. My NT domain is x.com and when I try to upgrade the PDC to 2000 I am told that I can not use x.com as my domain name because it already exists. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a way to keep my domain name?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by miha.pihler In reply to NT to 2000 Upgrade Domain ...

I am not sure if I got your question right. But if you have your production environment AND your test environment on the network at the same time there will be a problem if environments share DNS (x.com) and NetBIOS (x) name.
If this is the case, Isuggest that you take your test environment off the network (unplug the network cable that connects your test environment) and work on it isolated from the production environment.
Other option is to use different DNS (y.com) and NetBIOS (y) name intest environment.

Hope this helps?

Regards, Mike
MCSA, MCSE

Collapse -

by johanesian In reply to NT to 2000 Upgrade Domain ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

My test network is not connected to my production network.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to NT to 2000 Upgrade Domain ...

Well, there already is X.COM (registered to the X.com Corporation in California). That could be your problem. Running DCPROMO in Win2K, a check of DNS records does happen, and probably something that happens is to see if the FQDN you use is available or not.
If I were you, I would change the FQDN to something else that is not valid on the Internet, or before you run DCPROMO, disconnect your test Domain Controller from an outbound Internet connection. That way, it would set up its own DNS server to record that X.COM is its own IP address.

hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)