General discussion

NT to 2000 woes

By XT John ·
I've been helped quite abit by reading these Q&A forums, now it's my turn to ask:

After upgrading an NT 4 Enterprise Edition server (SP6a) to 2000, we are experiencing numerous log-on errors. It seems related to DNS. Some of the Event ID's the clients are receiving:
Application Events: 40961, 40960, 11165, 5719.
System Events: 15, 1053, 1054

I've Googled these all and tried many of the fixes mentioned, but no luck. Most of the errors say the Domain cannot be reached. Everything was fine before the update to 2000 Advanced Server, I'm sure I missed something in the upgrade, possibly with the DNS-Active Directory setup. Any help is greatly appreciated!

John

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lowlands In reply to NT to 2000 woes

Few things to check.
Run "netdiag /test:DNS" on (one of) your DC's

If errors pop up, try running "netdiag /fix"

Make sure your workstations have your AD DNS server defined as their DNS server.

Collapse -

by XT John In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to NT to 2000 woes

Hi

Did you change the domain name? I wonder if the clients are searching for the wrong domain - this happened to me over a year ago.

Also, I have not looked at the events you quote, but have you tried using www.eventid.net. There is a parser which allows you to copy the full event from the log and then searches for all information that members have submitted about the event.

Good luck

Collapse -

by XT John In reply to

Collapse -

by XT John In reply to NT to 2000 woes

Another strange thing I noticed this morning, comparing this server to another NT to 2000 upgraded server was, the successfully upgraded server has the _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp folders listed under the domain name in the forward lookup folder, the trouble server does not. Also, the netdiag DOES show a fatal error:

[FATAL} No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Thanks!

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to NT to 2000 woes

It sounds as though, for one thing, this DC is not correctly dynamically updating its IP address to the DNS server. Is this the only DNS server? Is the DNS zone AD-integrated? A couple of things to check, some of which are elementary, and you may have already checked.

First, check the TCP/IP properties of this server and make sure: (1) the server is set to register itself in DNS (TCP/IP properties, Advanced Button, DNS tab, at the bottom, "Register this connections addresses in DNS)"; (2) the server is set to use itself as a DNS server; (3) set DNS to be AD-integrated if it's not already set that way.

When all this is set, go to a command prompt and use the ipconfig /flushdns, ifconfig /registerdns commands to see if you can get this server to dynamically register itself in the DNS zone.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to

Ooops - typo - it's IPconfig, not IFconfig :-)

Collapse -

by XT John In reply to

Collapse -

by XT John In reply to NT to 2000 woes

Thank you all for your replies, but I'm still stuck. New clients cannot join the domain, etc. Something was overlooked during the upgrade to 2000. We'll probably try to call Microsoft before rebuilding the entire domain. This is the only server at this site. It seems the DNS and Active Directory have not 'joined up'. Thank you, curlergirl, for the suggestions.. I tried them all. Thank you all:)

Collapse -

by lowlands In reply to NT to 2000 woes

You might want to retry running netdiag /fix on the DC after you followed CurlerG's suggestion of making sure the DC's primary DNS server is set to itself. That should (re) register all the _tcp _msdc etc entries

Back to Windows Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next