General discussion

NT - Win2K / Win2003 upgrade

By flyfshmn ·
Hello all...
I have an existing NT domain. We will be converted into an existing 2000/2003 AD domain under the corparate umbrella in 6-12 months.
I want to upgrade my current domain to 2000/2003 AD AND be able to (without huge headaches) convert my DC's into the existing corparate doamin without data, user, share, security or permissions lost. If this possible? I would like to try to use the Doamin-Rename feature in 2003.
Anyone have any experience with this? Please ask questions if needed for clarification.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Sprocket In reply to NT - Win2K / Win2003 upgr ...

If you have the budget get a contracted company to do this for you. It will solve a lot of headaches.

If you do it yourself and get stuck you may not be able to go back. Many people have done it themselve like myself without a hitch, but I have see a couple go bad and I wouldn't do it again.

The other option is purchase a few new servers and build a new network and migrate everything across. Therefore you never lose anything and can always turn back.

Collapse -

by flyfshmn In reply to

I have done migrations in the past, but this one has a twist - we need to change the domain name later in the year to join the corporate domain.

Collapse -

by Sprocket In reply to NT - Win2K / Win2003 upgr ...

Changing the domain name in Windows 2003 should cause you no problems. Especially if you have performed migrations in the past. The domain rename feature actually works.

Collapse -

by tomhass In reply to NT - Win2K / Win2003 upgr ...

My experience is that the first 80% of the domain rename itself in 2003 is pretty simple. HOWEVER, the associated actions of cleaning up AD/DNS are not so simple...I go so far through the process and seemed unable to rename DCs and do other actions like promote/demote DCs - my view is that unless you have $ for consultancy forget it. I did rename the domain but had a flaky setup afterwards and could not go back (luckily it was temporary/testing domain).

Collapse -

by rbcabarroguis In reply to NT - Win2K / Win2003 upgr ...

Try to use a tool active directory migration tool

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)