General discussion

NT4.0 and NT 2000

By wallen ·
I want to upgrade my nt 4.0 network to 2000. Is there anything special I need to do? Are there any white paper out there?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

by ejsotillo In reply to NT4.0 and NT 2000

Definately there are white papers, go to MS Win2000 home page and follow the links...

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

by wallen In reply to NT4.0 and NT 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

by RonnonF In reply to NT4.0 and NT 2000

I don't think there are white papers but they have migration guides. All info microsoft has is on their site www.microsoft.com/win2k . There is a utility that you will need to run to test if your computer is compatible with win2k.
Of course there are also books you can buy for doing the migration. You might just be better off reading postings from people that have already done the migration. Some site are as follows:
www.winntmag.com, www.techrepublic.com,
www.brainbuzz.com, www.deja.com and
www.about.com

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

by -Q-240248 In reply to NT4.0 and NT 2000

I recently took the MS 1560 course, a 5-day course in studying upgrading NT4 to Win2K, and I have to say that the differences are astounding! Forests, trees, domains, dynamic DNS, Master catalogs, Schemas, Active Directory, DHCP, RRAS, Policies, Attributes...etc. All has changed. All is new. Now, I already was familiar with Novell's NDS, so the Active Directory was no big deal (and I think it's lacking), but I must tell you that upgrading an NT4 network to Win2K IS a giant deal! I would not rely on white papers and some other familiarity techniques, because surely you will fail. I recommend taking a course!

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

by tony.colgrove In reply to NT4.0 and NT 2000

The special thing you need do is PLAN, and plan some more. As -Q stated, AD is more then an upgrade to NT, it is a whole new thinking.
If you have a small single domain, less planning is required, but if you have multiple domains, mixed environments, read, research, plan and design. Definately run a small pilot, varify all applications and services will run on Win2K.

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

Collapse -

NT4.0 and NT 2000

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)