General discussion

nt4.0 server won't join win2000 domain

By ianslepp ·
I have recently taken a nt4.0 server off the network to be reinstalled. when I try to add it now with the same name it joins the domain but after it's first reboot after joining I am enable to log onto the network which is an active directory network(win2000). how do I resolve this without changing the pc's name

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to nt4.0 server won't join w ...

Is your Win2K network in mixed mode or native mode? If it's in native mode, your NT 4.0 server MUST be configured as a member server, not a BDC, in order to be a part of the same domain. If you're NT server is configured as a BDC and your domain is in mixed mode, then the server must be attached to the network while you install NT so that it can join the domain properly and get the appropriate SID info. Either way, I'd advise removing it from the domain, delete the computer account in AD, and then rejoin the domain (or reinstall NT again while connected to the domain). Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by ianslepp In reply to nt4.0 server won't join w ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Dynamo2003 In reply to nt4.0 server won't join w ...

It will not join the domain if you ARE CONFIGURING IT AS A BDC. What you ought to is to install it as a member server and later run dcpromo to join the domain as desired.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)